Attenuator for 170 GHz frequency

• Thread starter manthan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to convert a 10 dBm, 170 GHz signal into a -1 dBm, 170 GHz signal and the best type of attenuator to use. The possibility of using an obstruction inside the waveguide is mentioned, but the speaker admits they are not an expert on millimeter microwaves. The conversation also mentions the use of a gyrotron, specifically one at MIT that can generate 80 dBm at 140 GHz. However, it is noted that such a device is a power hog and requires strong magnetic fields to operate. The speaker also questions how someone without basic knowledge of microwave technology would have access to such a device. The conversation ends with the suggestion that there may be smaller
manthan
hi, everyone.

i need to convert my 10 dbm,170 GHz signal into -1 dbm,170 GHz. so which kind of attenuator is best for me.??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some kind of obstruction inside the waveguide should suffice, it just has to be properly sized ... but I'm not an expert on millimeter microwaves.

How are you generating 10 dBm at that frequency?

You must have access to some suberb test equipment. Agilent's millimeter-wave source modules outputs at most -10 dBm at full power in the upper range of D band.

He mentioned a gyrotron in the other post ... MIT has a gyrotron that generates 80 dBm at 140 GHz.

hamster143 said:
He mentioned a gyrotron in the other post ... MIT has a gyrotron that generates 80 dBm at 140 GHz.

Such a gyrotron is a huge power hog, and requires strong magnetic fields to operate, probably derived from superconducting magnets. I'm wondering though, how does one without basic knowledge of microwave tech, would get permission to experiment with such a device?

waht said:
Such a gyrotron is a huge power hog, and requires strong magnetic fields to operate, probably derived from superconducting magnets.

Yeah, 65 kV electron beams, superconducting 5 tesla magnets. And I bet you can fry yourself real easy with 80 dBm of microwaves. But surely there are smaller gyrotrons out there?

1. What is an attenuator for 170 GHz frequency?

An attenuator for 170 GHz frequency is a device used in the field of radio frequency (RF) engineering to reduce the strength of a signal without significantly altering its waveform. It is commonly used in high-frequency applications to control the amount of power being transmitted or received.

2. How does an attenuator for 170 GHz frequency work?

An attenuator for 170 GHz frequency works by using resistive elements to absorb a portion of the signal's energy, thereby reducing its amplitude. This is often achieved through the use of a voltage-controlled attenuator (VCA) circuit, which allows for precise control of the attenuation level.

3. What are the different types of attenuators for 170 GHz frequency?

There are several types of attenuators used for 170 GHz frequency, including fixed, variable, and step attenuators. Fixed attenuators have a set attenuation level, while variable attenuators can be adjusted to various levels. Step attenuators have a series of fixed attenuation levels that can be switched between.

4. What are the applications of an attenuator for 170 GHz frequency?

An attenuator for 170 GHz frequency is commonly used in high-frequency communication systems, radar systems, and satellite communications. It is also used in research and development settings for testing and measuring high-frequency components and systems.

5. How do I choose the right attenuator for my 170 GHz frequency application?

Choosing the right attenuator for a 170 GHz frequency application depends on factors such as the required attenuation level, frequency range, and power handling capabilities. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable engineer or supplier to ensure you select the appropriate attenuator for your specific needs.