Showing a sequence is divergent

In summary, for a sequence \{x_n\} in a metric space (X,d) to converge, there must exist a point x in X such that for all positive epsilon, there exists a natural number N such that for all n greater than N, the distance between x_n and x is less than epsilon. The negation of this statement is that for all points x in X, there exists a positive epsilon such that for all natural numbers N, there exists an n greater than N for which the distance between x_n and x is greater than or equal to epsilon. In order to show a sequence does not converge, it is necessary to show that for every point x in X, there exists a positive epsilon and a natural number N
AxiomOfChoice
A sequence [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] in a metric space [itex](X,d)[/itex] converges iff

[tex]
(\exists x\in X)(\forall \epsilon > 0)(\exists N \in \mathbb N)(\forall n > N)(d(x_n,x) < \epsilon).
[/tex]

Am I correct when I assert that the negation of this is: A sequence [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] does not converge in [itex](X,d)[/itex] iff

[tex]
(\forall x\in X)(\exists \epsilon > 0)(\forall N \in \mathbb N)(\exists n > N)(d(x_n,x) \geq \epsilon)?
[/tex]

So, if I'm trying to show a sequence does not converge, I let [itex]x\in X[/itex] be given and show that there is some [itex]\epsilon[/itex] neighborhood of this point that contains at most finitely many of the [itex]x_n[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your original assertion of negation is correct, but your final statement is incorrect: for a given x, you must only show there is a neighborhood of x outside of which infinitely many x_n lie. The sequence 0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,... does not converge to 0, but any neighborhood of 0 contains infinitely many x_n.

JCVD said:
Your original assertion of negation is correct, but your final statement is incorrect: for a given x, you must only show there is a neighborhood of x outside of which infinitely many x_n lie. The sequence 0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,... does not converge to 0, but any neighborhood of 0 contains infinitely many x_n.

Ok. So my phrasing of the negation is correct, but I interpreted it incorrectly. But certainly, if I'm given a sequence [itex]\{x_n\}[/itex] and I want to show it doesn't converge in [itex](X,d)[/itex], if I show that for every [itex]x\in X[/itex] there exists an [itex]\epsilon(x) > 0[/itex] and an [itex]N(x)\in \mathbb N[/itex] such that [itex]n > N(x)[/itex] implies [itex]d(x,x_n) > \epsilon(x)[/itex] , I'm good, right? (The crucial question here is whether my [itex]N[/itex] and my [itex]\epsilon[/itex] are allowed to depend on the given [itex]x[/itex], which I think they can.)

Everything in your last post is correct, but just beware that your argument will only be able to handle sequences without any convergent subsequence.

JCVD said:
Everything in your last post is correct, but just beware that your argument will only be able to handle sequences without any convergent subsequence.

Ok, thanks! But if I'm trying to show (for example) that the space [itex](X,d)[/itex] is not complete, then I'd *need* an argument like the above, right? Because if my sequence is Cauchy and has a convergent subsequence, the whole sequence converges to the limit of the subsequence, right?

Right.

1. Why is it important to show that a sequence is divergent?

It is important to show that a sequence is divergent because it helps determine the behavior of the sequence. If a sequence is divergent, it means that the terms in the sequence do not approach a finite limit and therefore, the sequence does not have a specific pattern or end behavior.

2. What are some common methods used to show that a sequence is divergent?

Some common methods used to show that a sequence is divergent include the divergence test, the comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test. These tests involve comparing the given sequence to a known divergent sequence or series, or using algebraic methods to determine the behavior of the sequence.

3. Can a sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both convergent and divergent. A sequence is either convergent, meaning it approaches a finite limit, or divergent, meaning it does not approach a finite limit. It is not possible for a sequence to have both behaviors simultaneously.

4. What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the absolute values of the terms in the series converge. This means that the series will converge regardless of the order in which the terms are added. Conditional convergence refers to a series where the terms converge, but the series may only converge if the terms are added in a specific order.

5. How can I use a graph to show that a sequence is divergent?

To use a graph to show that a sequence is divergent, you can plot the terms of the sequence on a coordinate plane. If the points do not approach a specific point or line, then the sequence is divergent. Additionally, you can use a graph to compare the given sequence to a known divergent sequence, such as a horizontal line or a polynomial with a non-zero degree.