How Do You Convert Sound Pressure from Decibels to Force in Newtons?

In summary, the conversation discusses converting pressure from a low frequency sound wave at high decibel levels to a measurable force, such as "proper acceleration". The speaker mentions that 160DB is equivalent to .290 PSI or 2000 Pascal, but they are having difficulty converting that into a product of force. They also mention wanting to back up their idea of pressure causing failure with measurable data. The conversation also touches on the importance of surface area in calculating force and the different types of forces involved in sound emission. The speaker's goal is to determine the impacting forces on objects placed in a sealed chamber pressurized by multiple large diameter speakers.
XoticXJ
I am trying to figure out how to convert the pressure from a low frequency sound wave at high decibel levels in short bursts, to a measurable force, such as "proper acceleration".
So far I have gathered that 160DB is equivalent to .290 PSI or 2000 Pascal, I am just having a very difficult time trying to convert that into a product of Force. I believe that this kind of pressure exerted on an object with a high sensitivity of failure due to initial shock, will ultimately fail however, I am trying to back that idea up with measurable data, and not by JUST physical, real world, testing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am by no means an expert -- but it seems to me calculating the force requires knowledge of the surface area involved. Since PSI means "pounds per square inch", .290 PSI over 1 square inch = .290 lbs, whereas .290 PSI over 10 square inches = 2.90 lbs.

That's the simple answer -- but I suppose it would also depends on whether you mean the force acting on the sound emitter (force on a speaker cone), the force exerted by the sound emitter (speaker cone's force on the air), or the force on an object at a distance from the sound emitter (force of air pressure on your eardrum).

I am trying to determine the impacting forces on an object(s) when placed inside a sealed chamber, which is pressurized by multiple large diameter speakers. I took a quick measurement, and while one objects surface area is quite small at only 23"^2in (6.67lbs of force) the other is 143^2in. (41.47lbs of force). Thx for trying to help with this small "insignificant" problem.

1. What is the difference between pressure and force?

Pressure is defined as the amount of force applied over a specific area. It is a measure of how much force is distributed over a given area. Force, on the other hand, is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its direction.

2. How do you convert between units of pressure and force?

The most common units of pressure are pascals (Pa), pounds per square inch (psi), and atmospheres (atm). To convert between these units, you can use conversion factors. For example, 1 psi equals 6895 Pa, and 1 atm equals 101325 Pa. To convert between units of force, you would need to know the mass and acceleration of the object in question.

3. What is the formula for calculating pressure?

The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This means that pressure is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to area.

4. How does pressure affect different states of matter?

In gases, pressure is directly related to the volume and temperature of the gas. As pressure increases, the volume decreases, and the temperature increases. In liquids, pressure is directly related to depth, as the weight of the liquid above creates pressure. In solids, pressure can cause deformation or change in shape, depending on the material's elasticity.

5. How does pressure impact the human body?

Our bodies are constantly exposed to atmospheric pressure, which can vary depending on altitude. A sudden change in pressure, such as when flying in a plane or scuba diving, can cause discomfort and even injury. Additionally, too much or too little pressure can affect the functioning of our organs and body systems. This is why pressure is carefully monitored and controlled in medical procedures like blood pressure measurement and oxygen therapy.