Calculating Time Constant and Effective Resistance for a Parallel RC Circuit

In summary, there is no formula that can be used to calculate the time-dependent resistance of a capacitor.
galoisien
I am trying obtain some equations for an RC circuit that has a resistor R1 after a battery, which then splits into a capacitor C and a resistor R2 (the circuit closes after this point).

When I try to seek help online, the resources are quite unhelpful. I cannot seem for example, obtain any formulas for the time constant for a capacitor connected in parallel to a resistor. When I try to look up the effective resistance of a capacitor I get resources that talk about alternating current circuits!

I know that capacitors start at zero resistance in the beginning and increase in resistance later. I cannot for the life of me however seem to plot the effective resistance (reactance) of a capacitor.

At tau/2, what is the resistance of a capacitor? How would I obtain RC constants?

Physics news on Phys.org
The reactance of a capacitor is a function of frequency. That's why you're finding all the discussions involving AC circuits. A step-function input, which is what I assume you have here as you're talking about a time constant, is comprised of an infinite combination of frequencies; there is no single number describing the reactance of a capacitor.

One thing you can do is use Thevenin and Norton equivalents to simplify the circuit to a basic RC circuit with only one resistor. If you're not familiar with these, just write down the loop equations, i.e. apply Kirchoff's laws, and solve them. It's pretty straightforward.

There has to be a value describing the resistance of a capacitor in a DC circuit, because if it's connected in parallel to a resistor, that resistance describes how much current is flowing through the resistor (as opposed to charging the capacitor).

I'm trying to analyse it as a current divider. The lack of any formulas is really annoying! What is the time-dependent resistance of a capacitor?

"If you're not familiar with these, just write down the loop equations, i.e. apply Kirchoff's laws, and solve them. It's pretty straightforward."

I can't figure out the time constants for this circuit... I need values as a function of time.

Okay every time they talk about Kirchoff's law for an RC circuit, I only see the example for a single resistor in series with a capacitor -- much too simple

OR multiple capacitors with multiple batteries and inductors and everything with a whole mess of equations -- much too complex.

where are some resources where I can get help for a two-resistor, one-capacitor, two-loop, one-battery circuit? I don't know where to start to set up a differential equation.

galoisien said:
There has to be a value describing the resistance of a capacitor in a DC circuit, because if it's connected in parallel to a resistor, that resistance describes how much current is flowing through the resistor (as opposed to charging the capacitor).

I'm trying to analyse it as a current divider. The lack of any formulas is really annoying! What is the time-dependent resistance of a capacitor?
The problem is, your approach won't work because there is no such thing as a "time-dependent resistance of a capacitor."

The basic relationship between the voltage v across a capacitor and the current i into the capacitor C is

[tex]i = C\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]
"If you're not familiar with these, just write down the loop equations, i.e. apply Kirchoff's laws, and solve them. It's pretty straightforward."

I can't figure out the time constants for this circuit... I need values as a function of time.

If I am trying to figure out how much current will pass through a capacitor given a resistor in parallel for some particular point in time.

I know, and I've already told you how to analyze this type of problem. If you're just going to ignore the suggestion, there's not much more I can say.

1. What is a two resistor RC circuit?

A two resistor RC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of two resistors, connected in series with a capacitor. It is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and create a time delay.

2. How does a two resistor RC circuit work?

A two resistor RC circuit works by charging and discharging the capacitor through the resistors. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor starts to charge, and the voltage across the capacitor gradually increases. Once the capacitor is fully charged, the voltage stops increasing, and the current in the circuit drops to zero. The capacitor then starts to discharge through the resistors, and the voltage across the capacitor decreases until it reaches zero. This cycle repeats as long as the voltage is applied to the circuit.

3. What is the time constant in a two resistor RC circuit?

The time constant in a two resistor RC circuit is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to about 63% of its maximum value. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance of the circuit by the capacitance of the capacitor.

4. How does the value of the resistors affect the circuit?

The value of the resistors affects the circuit by determining the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge and discharge. A higher resistance will result in a longer time constant and a slower charging and discharging process, while a lower resistance will result in a shorter time constant and a faster process.

5. What are some applications of a two resistor RC circuit?

A two resistor RC circuit has many applications, including in timing and delay circuits, filtering and smoothing circuits, and audio and radio circuits. It is also commonly used in electronic devices such as cameras, flash units, and power supplies.