My minor in Math isn't official , don't know how to explain it on resume

In summary: Most employers are less concerned about where you have knowledge from, they care about the skills you bring to the table. Concentrating in a particular area might make you stand out from other candidates.
rcw110131
my minor in Math isn't "official", don't know how to explain it on resume

I took all the required classes needed to obtain a minor in Math from my graduating school, but unfortunately more than half the classes were transfer credits from my first school I transferred out of after my first year. Since my graduating school requires more than half the credits to be taken there, I have no minor to show for on my transcript even though I took every class necessary to obtain it, just at separate institutions. Pretty pissed because I wasn't made aware of this rule before taking the final 2 math classes required for the minor at my graduating school, essentially wasting money on 8 credits. But anyways...

I'm in the process of applying to jobs now and I don't want to lie on my resume and say "Bachelor of Science in Physics; Mathematics Minor" but how else can I effectively communicate that I basically do have a minor in math, it's just not "official"? Say "concentration in Mathematics" or something and then explain in the interview?

I'm not really sure how to word this on my resume, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

If you've majored in physics the people who know what that means will generally understand that you have a certain level of mathematical skill. At my undergrad institution you couldn't earn a minor in math if you were taking a physics degree because you wouldn't have had to take any additional courses.

From a resume point of view, you should be tailoring it to the specific jobs you're applying to anyway. In situations where it makes a difference, point out some of the additional mathematics courses that you've taken that might be relevant to the position. Remember, most employers aren't interested in what your degree says, but the skills you will bring to their company.

Also,
Pretty pissed because I wasn't made aware of this rule before taking the final 2 math classes required for the minor at my graduating school, essentially wasting money on 8 credits.
When seeking employment, be careful of the language you use if this comes up. The phrase "I wasn't made aware..." implies that you're placing the responsibility for understanding the requirements of your own academic path on someone else.

Let's be clear: you don't have a minor in math. You haven't been awarded one because you haven't met the institutions requirements. This may not be fair, but it is nevertheless true. And like Choppy says, most employers aren't interested in what your degree says, but the skills you will bring to their company.

Yes, you could add "with a concentration in mathematics" below your degree.

rcw110131 said:
II'm in the process of applying to jobs now and I don't want to lie on my resume and say "Bachelor of Science in Physics; Mathematics Minor" but how else can I effectively communicate that I basically do have a minor in math, it's just not "official"? Say "concentration in Mathematics" or something and then explain in the interview?

Put something like "extensive coursework in mathematics including courses in X, Y, Z". Also you should realize that most employers will assume that if you have a bachelor in physics, that you are decent at math, so adding a minor isn't going to be a huge benefit.

I should point out that the one area in which you really should mention if you have it is if you have coursework in statistics or numerical analysis. The standard physics curriculum is weak in those areas.

Also employers are less concerned about where you have knowledge from. If they need to know your math abilities they can and will give you a lot of math questions.

Just say you have the minor... no one is going to check.

PhDorBust said:

An unbelievably bad idea. If you are going to lie on your resume, at least lie about something that people will actually care about.

PhDorBust said:

Bad advice.

marcusl said:
Yes, you could add "with a concentration in mathematics" below your degree.

This might not be the best idea. Many schools note when you have a concentration in a particular field and have guidelines that you must meet. The best thing you can do is what was already mentioned, I took extra course work in Mathematics in courses X, Y, Z. As mentioned before.

What is a minor in Math?

A minor in Math is a secondary area of study that complements your major degree. It typically requires fewer courses than a major and provides a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and principles.

Why is a minor in Math not official?

A minor in Math may not be official if it was not declared or approved by your university or if you did not complete the required courses for the minor. It is important to check with your university to determine the official status of your minor.

How can I explain my unofficial minor in Math on my resume?

You can explain your minor in Math on your resume by including it in the education section and specifying that it is an unofficial minor. You can also highlight any relevant coursework or skills gained from the minor that may be valuable to the position you are applying for.

Will having an unofficial minor in Math still be beneficial for my career?

Yes, having a minor in Math, even if it is unofficial, can still be beneficial for your career. It shows that you have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and can apply them in various situations. It also demonstrates your dedication and willingness to learn outside of your major area of study.

What should I do if I want to make my minor in Math official?

If you want to make your minor in Math official, you should first check with your university to understand their requirements and procedures. You may need to complete any remaining courses or paperwork to declare the minor officially. It is also helpful to speak with your academic advisor for guidance and assistance.