Defining dimensions of a linear eddy current brakes permanent magnets

In summary, the conversation is about designing an eddy current brake system for a roller coaster. The speaker has the required flux density and needs to determine the dimensions needed to obtain this flux density. The configuration involves identical magnets facing each other with a cooper fin acting as the ferrinagnetic material. The speaker is asking for the necessary formulas to calculate this. They also have the force needed to stop the coaster. The fin is bolted to the rail and the magnets are located at the point where the cart needs to brake. They are trying to calculate the necessary set up to reduce the cart's speed, but since the magnets are permanent, they are unsure how to do so. They know that multiple lines of magnets will be needed since eddy
os220
I am designing an eddy current brake system for use in roller coaster design.

I have the flux density required to reduce the speed to what i want it to be. what i need to do from that is work out the dimensions needed to obtain his flux density.

the configuration is for identical magnets facing each other in attracting positions with a cooper fin acting as the ferrinagnetic material and a NdFeB magnet

what formulas do i need to do this

i also have the force need to stop the coaster

ollie

Physics news on Phys.org
the fin is bolted to the rail?

What you must consider is the EMF induced in the copper conductor, then calculate the current, after which you can find the power dissipated (assuming you know the resistance of the copper fin). To find current use faraday's law, or, if you have a decent imagination, you can use the Lorrentz force relation directly.

The fin is bolted to the underside of my cart with the magnets located at the point at which my cart needs to brake

Due to the fact that i have no electrical current running through the magnets (the are permanent magnets) how do i calculate the necessary set up to reduce the carts speed.

I know that eddy current magnets only reduce the speed proportionally and i will therefore need several lines of magnets

1. What are linear eddy current brakes?

Linear eddy current brakes are a type of braking system that utilizes the principles of electromagnetism to slow down or stop the motion of a moving object. They consist of a series of permanent magnets and conductive plates, with the magnets being mounted on the moving object and the plates being fixed on a stationary surface. When the magnets move past the plates, eddy currents are induced in the plates which create a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the magnets, thus slowing down the movement of the object.

2. What are the dimensions of permanent magnets used in linear eddy current brakes?

The dimensions of permanent magnets used in linear eddy current brakes can vary, but they are typically small and thin in order to minimize the overall weight and size of the braking system. The specific dimensions will depend on the application and the desired braking force, but they are typically designed to fit within the space constraints of the object being braked.

3. How are the dimensions of permanent magnets determined in linear eddy current brakes?

The dimensions of permanent magnets used in linear eddy current brakes are determined through a combination of calculations and simulations. Factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the moving object, and the desired braking force all play a role in determining the optimal dimensions of the magnets. Additionally, the size and shape of the object being braked will also need to be considered in order to ensure a proper fit within the braking system.

4. What is the importance of defining dimensions for the permanent magnets in linear eddy current brakes?

The dimensions of permanent magnets used in linear eddy current brakes are crucial in determining the overall performance and effectiveness of the braking system. Properly defining the dimensions ensures that the magnets will produce the necessary magnetic field to generate enough eddy currents to slow down or stop the motion of the object. Additionally, the dimensions also play a role in the efficiency and stability of the braking system.

5. How do the dimensions of permanent magnets affect the overall design and function of linear eddy current brakes?

The dimensions of permanent magnets used in linear eddy current brakes can greatly influence the design and function of the braking system. The size and shape of the magnets will impact the overall weight and size of the system, as well as the amount of braking force that can be generated. Additionally, the dimensions can also affect the stability and reliability of the braking system, as well as the overall cost of production.