Measuring Alcohol Content: How Do I Calculate It?

In summary, the conversation is about measuring the amount of alcohol produced by yeast in a fish tank with live plants using a homemade CO2 mixture. The suggested method is to use a hydrometer, similar to how alcohol concentration is measured in beer. The math involved in this method is not fully understood and the individual is seeking further explanation.
Drew Sandlin
Hello all,

I'm a bit new to to the forum, but from the posts I've read, I can say that this is a fantastic site. I have a fish tank with some live plants in it, and I add CO2 to the water by putting some sugar, water and yeast in a two liter bottle and pumping the gas into the water. Worked great for the plants.

However, I am curious how I would go about measuring the amount of alcohol that the yeast produces by measuring the density of the mixture before I start a batch and after. I initially had thought of something like this:

1000(1 - x) + 789(x) = Density of mixture after some time

where the 1000 represents the density of water in kg/m^3, and the 789 for the ethanol and x is the fraction of ethanol. You can noticeably observe the level of fluid in the two liter bottle rise slightly over the course of a few days, and so I would imagine that the density goes down after some fermentation has occured. Is this a solid approach to use? How, if necessary should I account for the CO2 that leaves the mixture?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Drew. Welcome to the board.
Drew Sandlin said:
However, I am curious how I would go about measuring the amount of alcohol that the yeast produces by measuring the density of the mixture before I start a batch and after.
Have you looked into how alcohol concentration is measured in beer? It's basically a float (called a hydrometer) you drop in that measures fluid density. Sounds like it's just what you need to measure the alcohol in your batch. You can find them at your local beer and wine making store.

I have, but I'm not sure I understand the math behind it. Are they taking the difference in densities divided by the density of ethanol to determine the volume created? Do you know where I could go to find some sort of explanation for the math; I've seen some formulas, but haven't found any explanation. Thanks!

What is alcohol content and why is it important to measure?

Alcohol content refers to the percentage of ethanol present in an alcoholic beverage. It is important to measure because it can affect the potency and safety of the beverage, as well as determine its legal classification.

How is alcohol content measured?

Alcohol content is typically measured using a device called a hydrometer, which measures the density of the liquid. This measurement is then used to calculate the alcohol content using a formula.

What factors can affect the accuracy of alcohol content measurements?

The accuracy of alcohol content measurements can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, carbonation, and the presence of other substances such as sugars or flavorings.

Why is it important to accurately measure alcohol content in commercial beverages?

Accurate alcohol content measurement is important for both consumer safety and regulatory purposes. It ensures that the beverage is safe for consumption and that it meets legal requirements for labeling and taxation.

How does the alcohol content of a beverage affect its taste and quality?

The alcohol content of a beverage can greatly impact its taste and quality. Higher alcohol content can result in a stronger, more intense flavor, while lower alcohol content may result in a milder taste. Additionally, the type and quality of alcohol used can also affect the overall taste and quality of the beverage.