Electric Field of Moving Charge

In summary: I will presume is constant for your stated moving particle- and the distance away from said particle.Since the distance from a point is inevitable linked to the points point location, this is aptly explained by Coulombs Law.
chickenz
The electric field of a charge moving with uniform velocity points towards the charge's present location. You can either get that from a whole lotta math on the vector and scalar potentials. Or more easily from special relativity.

Is there a quick, minimally mathematical, and intuitive explanation for this otherwise miraculous coincidence?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chickenz, welcome to PF,

The easy explanation is that Maxwell's equations are invariant under the Lorentz transform, so you can transform to a nice coordinate system, solve it there, and then transform back to your original system. The fact that choosing a nice coordinate system simplifies computations should not be a surprise.

DaleSpam said:
Hi chickenz, welcome to PF,

The easy explanation is that Maxwell's equations are invariant under the Lorentz transform, so you can transform to a nice coordinate system, solve it there, and then transform back to your original system. The fact that choosing a nice coordinate system simplifies computations should not be a surprise.

Oh, that wasn't what I was asking about. Sorry. Let me rephrase the question:

Is the fact that the electric field of a moving charge points to the charge's current location immediately obvious from fundamental principles, or does it just follow from the math?

I don't understand the distinction. The fundamental principles are Maxwells equations, which are mathematical.

chickenz said:
The electric field of a charge moving with uniform velocity points towards the charge's present location. You can either get that from a whole lotta math on the vector and scalar potentials. Or more easily from special relativity.

Is there a quick, minimally mathematical, and intuitive explanation for this otherwise miraculous coincidence?

Basically the argument is like this: you can never know what's going on with the charge now, only how it was doing at a time=(distance/speed of light) ago. So say you are at x=3x108, and you receive information at t=0 that the charge is at x=0 and going at speed v=1. Well that information was sent at t=-1, so that's old information, since right now is t=0. So where do you think the particle is now, at t=0? It's natural to think the particle is at x=1, which would be the case if there were no acceleration. If it did accelerate between t=-1 and t=0, then you wouldn't know it. But you have to define a value for the field now at t=0, because you just can't not have a field there just because you're unsure. So it's most natural to say that field at t=0 is as if the particle were at x=1 moving with velocity v=1. You have to choose a value of the field, as the electric field is not an indefinite quantity. And based on all available information, the field should be that created by the charge at x=1 with velocity v=1.

chickenz said:

Still mathematical but I think this explanation is quite good. Note at the bottom he makes a comment about why the "force" of gravity on the Earth points at the present postion of the sun, this is for the same reason as your charge problem.

http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath249/kmath249.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah. I think my question is still being misinterpreted. Here's my question, rephrased again:

The electric field of a uniformly moving charge points at the charge's present location, not to the retarded position. Is this obvious from Maxwell's Equations or Special Relativity? (And by obvious, I mean immediately clear from only a few lines of simple math)

the intensity of an electric field is determined by the charge of the emitting particle- which I will presume is constant for your stated moving particle- and the distance away from said particle.

Since the distance from a point is inevitable linked to the points point location, this is aptly explained by Coulombs Law

Electric field is equal to:charge of the particle

Last edited:
protazoa said:
the intensity of an electric field is determined by the charge of the emitting particle- which I will presume is constant for your stated moving particle- and the distance away from said particle.

Since the distance from a point is inevitable linked to the points point location, this is aptly explained by Coulombs Law

Electric field is equal to:

charge of the particle

I'm afraid Coulomb's Law is wrong in the context of moving charges.

chickenz said:
Ah. I think my question is still being misinterpreted. Here's my question, rephrased again:

The electric field of a uniformly moving charge points at the charge's present location, not to the retarded position. Is this obvious from Maxwell's Equations or Special Relativity? (And by obvious, I mean immediately clear from only a few lines of simple math)
Well, I guess it depends on if "simple math" includes four-vectors and boosts. If so, then I think that you can do it as follows.

Start in the rest frame of the central charge, the test charge is moving with some velocity, -v. Use Coulomb's law and the Lorentz force law in that frame to determine the four-force on the test charge. Calculate the displacement four-vector. Note that they are parallel meaning that the force points to where the charge is. Boost to the frame where the test charge is stationary and the central charge is moving with velocity v. Note that the four-force remains parallel to the displacement four-vector.

DaleSpam said:
Well, I guess it depends on if "simple math" includes four-vectors and boosts. If so, then I think that you can do it as follows.

Start in the rest frame of the central charge, the test charge is moving with some velocity, -v. Use Coulomb's law and the Lorentz force law in that frame to determine the four-force on the test charge. Calculate the displacement four-vector. Note that they are parallel meaning that the force points to where the charge is. Boost to the frame where the test charge is stationary and the central charge is moving with velocity v. Note that the four-force remains parallel to the displacement four-vector.

Yes, that's the type of explanation that I was looking for.

Unfortunately, I don't believe your argument. Let O be the origin of our coordinate system, and let A be the event where we measure the force on the test charge. O and A are simultaneous in the rest frame of the central charge.
1. The four-force and four-displacement are not parallel. In the rest frame of the central charge, the four-force has a nonzero timelike component, whereas the four-displacement has a zero timelike component.
2. When we do the boost into the rest frame of the test charge, the four-displacement gains a nonzero timelike component (and the four-force's timelike component becomes zero). That means O and A are no longer simultaneous. But we wanted to prove that the Electric Field points to the charge's current location, i.e., we want to measure the force when the central charge crosses the origin.

Nevertheless, thank you. I hadn't thought about four-vectors. If I choose to think about this further, I'll try to come up with an argument for why the Electric Field points to the charge's present location using four-vectors.

chickenz said:
1. The four-force and four-displacement are not parallel. In the rest frame of the central charge, the four-force has a nonzero timelike component, whereas the four-displacement has a zero timelike component.
D'oh! you are right. I was trying to be too clever.

Try this. Start in the rest frame of the central charge. Use Coulomb's law to calculate the E-field in that frame at every point along the path of a test charge moving with velocity -v. There is no B-field so the force is in the direction of the E-field. Boost into the rest frame of the test charge and use the relativistic transformation laws in Einstein's original OEMB paper to calculate the E-field in that frame at every point along the path. The test charge is not moving so the force is again in the direction of the E-field.

I think that the only complication will be that you will need to carefully parameterize the test charge's path by the proper time.

DaleSpam said:
Try this. Start in the rest frame of the central charge. Use Coulomb's law to calculate the E-field in that frame at every point along the path of a test charge moving with velocity -v. There is no B-field so the force is in the direction of the E-field. Boost into the rest frame of the test charge and use the relativistic transformation laws in Einstein's original OEMB paper to calculate the E-field in that frame at every point along the path. The test charge is not moving so the force is again in the direction of the E-field.

I think that the only complication will be that you will need to carefully parameterize the test charge's path by the proper time.

Hmmm... This sounds like it could work. It's more mathematical than I would have hoped, but parametrizing worldlines is something that I ought to try, and maybe I'll gain some insight from it. Thanks for your help.

1. What is the concept of electric field of moving charge?

The electric field of a moving charge is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that describes the force exerted by a charged particle on another charged particle due to its motion. It is a vector field that represents the direction and strength of the force at any given point in space.

2. How is the electric field of a moving charge calculated?

The electric field of a moving charge can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be represented by the equation E = (k * q * Q)/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q and Q are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential of a moving charge?

The electric potential of a moving charge is closely related to its electric field. The electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. It is directly proportional to the electric field, meaning that the stronger the electric field, the higher the electric potential will be.

4. How does the electric field of a moving charge affect other charged particles?

The electric field of a moving charge exerts a force on other charged particles, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the electric field. The magnitude and direction of the force depends on the magnitude and direction of the electric field, as well as the charge of the other particle. This force is responsible for many phenomena in nature, such as the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles.

5. Can the electric field of a moving charge be shielded or cancelled?

Yes, the electric field of a moving charge can be shielded or cancelled by placing a conductor between the charged particle and the other particles. This is known as electrostatic shielding and is commonly used in electronic devices to prevent interference from external electric fields. Additionally, the electric field can also be cancelled out by an opposite but equal electric field, resulting in a net electric field of zero.