Pressure Difference in Test Tube w/ Air Flow Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure inside a sealed test tube when air is flowing in at a certain rate. The participants contemplate the impact of water and the resistance of tubing on the pressure inside the test tube. They also suggest using equations such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation or finding head loss information to solve the problem.
iki08
lets say if i have a test tube (diameter 3cm and height 30cm) seal with a rubber. in the test tube there 100ml of water = around 10 cm height. if air was flow into the test tube with flow rate around 20L/min, and after a few sec, the rubber was push out. in general i understand that the pressure inside the test tube is higher than atmospheric pressure. but i can't find any mathematical solution that relate flow rate and pressure to proof that the pressure inside the test tube is higher than outside. can anyone explain it to me.
Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's that flow out doing there in the diagram?
If air doesn't flow out at the same rate, it's obvious that the pressure inside increases.

If it IS flowing out at the same rate, it may be that the bubbling in the water causes some of the water molecules to come out of the liquid, and increase the pressure over the surface in the test tube

I'm not sure the water does much other than resist the flow on the inlet tube. If the tube were to remain sealed, and assuming the outlet tube exits into the atmoshpere, then the outlet tube's resistance to flow is the primary reason pressure inside the tube would be greater than the ambient pressure out side. The pressure on the inlet tube would have to be greater still in order to overcome the resistance in the water so that the air exits the water at the same pressure as the pressure inside the tube.

You could simplify this quite a bit by simply having a long length of pipe with one end connected to a pump and the other end exiting to the atmoshpere. The pressure at the pump end would be higher than the pressure at the exit end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy–Weisbach_equation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_loss#Head_loss

sorry for the late reply

asdofindia - air was flow to the tube to mix the reactant in the tube then the 'flow out' is for air to flow out to atm and the outside flow rate is around 38 L/min. i just don't know which equation i should use to solve this problem.rcgldr- are you sure the darcy weisbach equation can be applied to this problem? i thought that equation only can be used for liquid. and usually what is the darcy friction factor value of rubber/vinyl tubing?

iki08 said:
rcgldr- are you sure the darcy weisbach equation can be applied to this problem?
No, but it may be possible to find "head loss" information for air and certain common types of tubing or pipes. I don't know how much pressure a glass test tube can handle, so if you wanted to measure the pressure on a sealed test tube, I'd recommend getting a stronger tube.

What is pressure difference in a test tube?

The pressure difference in a test tube refers to the difference in pressure between two points within the tube. This can be caused by various factors such as temperature, air flow rate, and volume of gas present.

How is pressure difference measured in a test tube?

Pressure difference in a test tube can be measured using a variety of instruments such as a manometer or a pressure gauge. These instruments measure the difference in pressure between two points and provide a numerical value for the pressure difference.

What is the relationship between air flow rate and pressure difference in a test tube?

The air flow rate and pressure difference in a test tube are directly related. As the air flow rate increases, the pressure difference also increases. This is because a higher air flow rate results in a larger volume of air passing through the test tube, causing a greater pressure difference between the two points.

How does the volume of gas present affect pressure difference in a test tube?

The volume of gas present in a test tube can affect the pressure difference in two ways. Firstly, a larger volume of gas will result in a larger pressure difference between the two points. Secondly, changes in the volume of gas can also cause changes in pressure, as described by Boyle's Law.

What is the significance of understanding pressure difference in a test tube?

Understanding pressure difference in a test tube is important in various scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics and gas flow. It can also be useful in practical applications, such as in the design of ventilation systems or in the study of respiratory diseases. Additionally, understanding pressure difference can help in optimizing industrial processes that involve gas flow.