Buying a Smartphone: Tips for Purchasing Safely Online

• Thread starter hy23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smartphone
In summary: I just don't answer the phone if someone is trying to reach me by phone.In summary, if you're looking to buy a used phone and are worried about getting scammed, just be sure to do your research and be sure to check the phone for any signs of tampering (unaactivated, no contract, not from the US), and also be sure to have some money set aside in case you have to activate the phone yourself.
hy23
Hey guys, I don't know much about the new smartphones and all the data plans, for years I've just used a shabby prepaid phone, but now I'm kind of interested in the Blackberry Bold. I know that if I get it in stores, it will be around 50 dollars with a 3 year 60 dollar/month data plan contract, with caller ID and voice messaging etc it will probably amount to 75 dollars/month. So I want to buy a used one off craigslist and just sign up for a 35 dollar/month plan (without data) which will save me a lot of money and I can cancel anytime. The problem is I've never bought anything online so I'm worried about getting scammed.

Just wondering, what steps I should take to getting that new phone and what to check for when I meet up with the seller.

And also, what does it mean if a seller lists the phone as unactivated, does that mean you have to sign up with some carrier for a contract to activate it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I suggest a degree in smart-phone price plans followed by a similar Phd.
Obviously you will only be scratching the surface of such a complex subject but it's a good starter.

hy23 said:
Hey guys, I don't know much about the new smartphones and all the data plans, for years I've just used a shabby prepaid phone, but now I'm kind of interested in the Blackberry Bold. I know that if I get it in stores, it will be around 50 dollars with a 3 year 60 dollar/month data plan contract, with caller ID and voice messaging etc it will probably amount to 75 dollars/month. So I want to buy a used one off craigslist and just sign up for a 35 dollar/month plan (without data) which will save me a lot of money and I can cancel anytime. The problem is I've never bought anything online so I'm worried about getting scammed.

Just wondering, what steps I should take to getting that new phone and what to check for when I meet up with the seller.

And also, what does it mean if a seller lists the phone as unactivated, does that mean you have to sign up with some carrier for a contract to activate it?
Are you in the US? If you are, there are restrictions on which models work on which carriers. Also, Blackberry has it's own proprietary data service. If you try to activate it without data, it's just a phone and won't have any of the features that you would buy a Blackberry for.

hy23 said:

#1. I'm cheap.
#2. I'm in the US.

I have an iPhone on a pre-paid plan through AT&T (no contract). When I'm at home or school, I turn off the cell data transfer--easy to do on the iPhone--and just use WiFi to check email, surf the web, or whatever I want to do on it. When I'm away from a trusted WiFi network, then I turn on the 3G/cell data transfer and use AT&T's network to check email, surf the web, or what have you. The prepaid plan I have let's you buy a chunk of data, either as a fixed, monthly amount or as a prepaid chunk.

As far as phone calls are concerned, I have that $2/day talk+text plan, but I don't use it all that much. I usually only make phone calls a couple days each week (and when I do make a call, I then make all the calls I need to make that same day so as to maximize that $2). So, if I'm studying or otherwise disinclined to waste time chatting on the phone, I turn on Airplane Mode (also easy to do on the iPhone) so I don't make or receive any phone calls or texts. Each day I'm in Airplane Mode saves me $2/day.

Officially, you can't use AT&T's prepaid plan on an iPhone, but a two-minute search of Google will tell you exactly how to get around this tiny inconvenience.

Evo, I live in Canada. I'm thinking that without the data, I can still use the wifi, I'm not sure whether i can still use the BBM though.

And atomicjoe, I see you already have a PhD in wearing the troll hat

1. What are the most important features to consider when buying a smartphone?

The most important features to consider when buying a smartphone are the operating system, processor, battery life, camera quality, and storage capacity. The operating system determines the user interface and available apps, while the processor affects the speed and performance of the phone. Battery life is important for long-term use, and a good camera and storage capacity are essential for capturing and storing photos and videos.

2. What is the ideal budget for buying a smartphone?

The ideal budget for buying a smartphone depends on the individual's needs and preferences. Generally, budget-friendly smartphones can range from $100 to $400, mid-range phones can cost between $400 and $800, and high-end smartphones can exceed $800. It is important to consider the features and specifications that are important to you and choose a phone that fits within your budget.

3. Should I buy a phone from a specific brand?

The brand of a smartphone is a personal preference and there is no one right answer. Some brands may have a better reputation for certain features, such as camera quality or battery life. It is important to research and read reviews to determine which brand offers the features and specifications that are important to you.

4. Is it better to buy a smartphone online or in-store?

Buying a smartphone online or in-store both have their advantages. Buying online allows for a larger selection and the potential for better deals, while buying in-store allows for a hands-on experience and the ability to ask questions to a salesperson. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and the availability of the specific phone you are looking for.

5. What are some important factors to consider when comparing different smartphones?

When comparing different smartphones, some important factors to consider are the price, operating system, processor, battery life, camera quality, storage capacity, and any additional features such as water resistance or expandable storage. It is also important to consider the brand's reputation and customer reviews to determine the overall quality and reliability of the phone.