How to find the wavelength of a sound wave?

In summary, the formula for finding the wavelength of a sound wave is wavelength = speed of sound / frequency. The speed of sound can be measured using a sound level meter and is approximately 343 meters per second at room temperature. The wavelength and frequency of a sound wave are inversely proportional, with a relationship described by the formula: wavelength = speed of sound / frequency. The medium through which a sound wave travels can affect its wavelength, with denser mediums resulting in a shorter wavelength. The wavelength of a sound wave can be changed by altering the frequency, medium, or through diffraction caused by objects in its path.
strayaway

Homework Statement

What is the wavelength of a 25 Hz sound wave? What is the wavelength of a 4.5 kHz sound wave?

Homework Equations

wavelength = velocity / frequency or λ = v/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I'm supposed to plug the 25 into the equation, but he didn't give us a velocity, so now I'm stuck. That's what I need help with. :/
The speed of sound is 340 m/s
is that what I'm supposed to use for velocity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of sound ?

1. What is the formula for finding the wavelength of a sound wave?

The formula for finding the wavelength of a sound wave is: wavelength = speed of sound / frequency. This means that the wavelength is equal to the speed of sound divided by the frequency of the wave.

2. How do you measure the speed of sound?

The speed of sound can be measured using a tool called a sound level meter, which measures the time it takes for a sound wave to travel a known distance. The speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second at room temperature.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in a sound wave?

The wavelength and frequency of a sound wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: wavelength = speed of sound / frequency.

4. How does the medium affect the wavelength of a sound wave?

The medium through which a sound wave travels can affect its wavelength. Sound waves travel faster in denser mediums, resulting in a shorter wavelength. This is why sound travels faster in water than in air, and the wavelength is shorter in water than in air for the same frequency.

5. Can the wavelength of a sound wave be changed?

Yes, the wavelength of a sound wave can be changed by altering the frequency or the medium through which it travels. In addition, objects in the path of a sound wave can also cause a change in its wavelength through the process of diffraction.