What are the 5 sensory systems and how do they work in cell signalling?

• Thread starter biochemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is writing an essay on comparing 5 sensory systems and is seeking help on finding journals and an outline of the cell signalling process for these senses. They mention being confused by information in a textbook and someone recommends finding a book instead of journals for a better overview.
biochemist
I'm writing an essay on comparing 5 sensory systems, and have been looking at the chapter of sensory systems in Stryer's "biochemistry" textbook.

It is really confusing me because I've just seen a "totally unknown" on hearing and touch :bugeye: , and i want to look at journals on the 5 senses.

Could anyone give me a clue on which journal i shall read, and also give me a outline of the cell signalling process of these 5 senses? Thanks! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
Journals do generally not give you a good overview, but are aimed at new findings. You can better try to find a good book, like this one:
http://ca.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471854611.html

Last edited by a moderator:

The five sensory systems are vision, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. These systems are responsible for gathering information from the environment and transmitting it to the brain for interpretation. They work through a process of cell signaling, which involves the transmission of signals between cells to communicate information.

In vision, light enters the eye and is focused onto the retina, where it is converted into electrical signals by specialized cells called photoreceptors. These signals are then transmitted to the brain via the optic nerve, which interprets the information and allows us to see.

Hearing works in a similar way, with sound waves entering the ear and causing vibrations in the eardrum. These vibrations are then converted into electrical signals by hair cells in the inner ear and transmitted to the brain via the auditory nerve. The brain then interprets these signals as sound.

Taste and smell both involve the detection of chemical molecules in the environment. In taste, these molecules are detected by taste buds on the tongue, which then transmit signals to the brain via the gustatory nerve. Similarly, in smell, molecules are detected by olfactory receptors in the nose, which then send signals to the brain via the olfactory nerve.

Touch involves the detection of physical stimuli such as pressure, temperature, and pain. This information is detected by specialized receptors in the skin and other tissues, and then transmitted to the brain via the somatosensory nerve. The brain then interprets these signals to give us a sense of touch.

In terms of cell signaling, each of these sensory systems involves a specific type of receptor (photoreceptors, hair cells, taste buds, olfactory receptors, and somatosensory receptors) that detects the specific stimuli. These receptors then transmit signals to the brain via specialized nerves, which carry the information to the brain for interpretation.

As for journals to read, there are many resources available on the topic of sensory systems and cell signaling. Some suggestions include the Journal of Neuroscience, Nature Neuroscience, and the Journal of Molecular Neuroscience. Additionally, your university library may have access to textbooks or review articles specifically on the topic of sensory systems and cell signaling.

What is the role of sensory systems in the human body?

Sensory systems are responsible for detecting and processing information from the environment, allowing us to perceive and interact with the world around us. This includes the senses of sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell.

How do sensory systems communicate with the brain?

Sensory systems use specialized cells called receptors to detect stimuli and convert them into electrical signals. These signals travel through the nervous system to the brain, which interprets the information and produces a response.

What are the different types of sensory systems?

There are five main types of sensory systems: visual (sight), auditory (hearing), somatosensory (touch), gustatory (taste), and olfactory (smell). Each system has its own set of receptors and functions.

How do sensory systems develop in infants and children?

Sensory systems develop gradually during infancy and childhood through a process called sensory integration. As children interact with their environment, their brains learn to interpret and organize sensory information, allowing them to make sense of the world around them.

What happens when sensory systems are impaired?

Impairment of sensory systems can lead to sensory processing disorders, which can cause difficulties with processing and responding to sensory information. This can affect a person's ability to learn, socialize, and perform daily activities. Treatment may involve sensory integration therapy and other interventions to help improve sensory processing.