Rms value of the half-wave rectified sinusoidal wave

In summary: Good job! Remember, the RMS value is always positive, so you can ignore the negative sign when taking the square root.
yy112

Homework Statement

I know the rms of a half wave is half the peak value. But the peak value is not given to me. Instead, the V(t) function of 4cos(20pi(x)) is given. Also the period T = 100ms

Homework Equations

vrms = vpeak/2

But the peak is not given!

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure exactly how to integrate it in order to obtain the peak value and then divide it by 2 in order to get the rms. Much help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
yy112 said:

Homework Statement

I know the rms of a half wave is half the peak value. But the peak value is not given to me. Instead, the V(t) function of 4cos(20pi(x)) is given. Also the period T = 100ms

Did you mean 4cos(20pi(t))? Also, note that this is not a half-wave rectified sinusoidal function, it's just a plain old sinusoidal function.

Do you really think that you haven't been given the peak value of this cosine wave? Consider this: a cosine function oscillates between +1 and -1. Therefore, a cosine function that has been multiplied by 4 will oscillate between +__ and -__. Therefore, the peak value (a.k.a. amplitude) is __.

You fill in the blanks. :wink:

Sorry. You are correct. it is a cosine function. The question states that it is a half-wave rectified sinusoidal function.

I would think that the peak value is 4. So the Vrms value is 4/2 = 2. But the question wants to see me integrate the function in some sort to get the Vrms value.

The integration needs to be in a form of cos^2(x)=1/2 or 1+cos2x

First you should explain your understanding of what the rms value is. How does one calculate the rms value of a given periodic function?

Yeah, gneill is right. The problem is asking you to use integration to derive the result that the rms value of a half-wave rectified sinusoidal function is half of its peak value (rather than just assuming it's true). In order to do this, you need to know what the definition of the rms value of a function is. Hint: it stands for "root mean square."

Vrms = sqrt ( 1/T * integral from 0-T of v^2(t) dt)
Thats the equation i would use. Would it be appropriate to apply it to this question?

yy112 said:
Vrms = sqrt ( 1/T * integral from 0-T of v^2(t) dt)
Thats the equation i would use. Would it be appropriate to apply it to this question?

Yup. [tex]\langle f \,\rangle \equiv \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b f(x)\,dx [/tex] is the definition for the average value of the function f(x) over the interval a < x < b. Therefore, what you have written there is [itex] \langle v^2(t) \rangle^{1/2} [/itex]. If you think about it, [itex] v^2(t) [/itex] is the square of the voltage, and hence [itex] \langle v^2 \rangle [/itex] is the "mean square" voltage (averaged over one period), and taking the square root of this gives you the "root mean square" voltage.

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense. Now i understand it. But if i had a function such as v(t)=15+10cos(20πt) would i also apply the same equation or would i have to do something with the angular frequency?

yy112 said:
That makes perfect sense. Now i understand it. But if i had a function such as v(t)=15+10cos(20πt) would i also apply the same equation or would i have to do something with the angular frequency?

You use the function as given. That includes the "15" which is a DC component. Note that you can ignore the angular frequency if you can determine the angle over which a complete cycle occurs. In other words you don't have to integrate over time, but rather over a complete (angular) cycle of the function. The "period" then is the angular "distance" over which you integrate. For the common trig functions sine and cosine that angle is [itex]2 \pi[/itex].

For your example the cosine function is periodic over an angle of [itex]2 \pi[/itex]. Thus your rms calculation becomes
[tex] RMS = \frac{1}{2 \pi}\int_0^{2 \pi} (15 + 10 cos(\theta))^2 d \theta [/tex]

I understand that. I would get an RMS of 275. Would that be correct?

yy112 said:
I understand that. I would get an RMS of 275. Would that be correct?

That would be correct.

1. What is the RMS value of a half-wave rectified sinusoidal wave?

The RMS value of a half-wave rectified sinusoidal wave is equal to the peak amplitude of the wave divided by the square root of 2, or approximately 0.707 times the peak amplitude.

2. How is the RMS value of a half-wave rectified sinusoidal wave calculated?

To calculate the RMS value, the wave is squared, averaged over one period, and then the square root is taken. In the case of a half-wave rectified sinusoidal wave, the average is only taken over the positive half of the wave.

3. Why is the RMS value important in electrical engineering?

The RMS value is important because it is a measure of the effective or equivalent value of a waveform. This is particularly useful in AC circuits where the voltage or current is constantly changing direction.

4. Can the RMS value of a half-wave rectified sinusoidal wave be greater than the peak amplitude?

No, the RMS value of a half-wave rectified sinusoidal wave can never be greater than the peak amplitude. It is always equal to or less than 0.707 times the peak amplitude.

5. What is the significance of the number 0.707 in relation to the RMS value of a half-wave rectified sinusoidal wave?

The number 0.707 is the ratio between the RMS value and the peak amplitude of a half-wave rectified sinusoidal wave. This value is important because it is a constant that allows us to easily calculate the RMS value from the peak amplitude.