Calculate force required to reduce diameter of bar?

In summary, a mild steel bar with a diameter of 40 mm and length of 100 mm is subjected to a tensile force along its axis. The Young's modulus of elasticity is 200 GN m^-2 and Poisson's ratio is 0.3. Using the equation for Poisson's ratio and the bar's axial elongation, it is determined that the force required to reduce the diameter to 39.99 mm is 209491.62 N. It is important to use the correct units, such as GPa, when working with these calculations.
bensm0
A mild stell bar 40 mm diameter and 100 mm long is subjected to a tensile force along its axis.
Young's modulus of elasticity = 200 GN m -2. Poisson's ratio is 0.3.
Calculate the force required to reduce the diameter to 39.99 mm

It says use the x-y coordinate system?? This i don't understand?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
bensm0: Hint 1: What is the equation for the definition of Poisson's ratio, in terms of transverse strain εy, and axial strain εx? Hint 2: What is the equation for the bar axial elongation, in terms of the applied tensile force P?

We are not allowed to give you the relevant equations for your homework. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work. And then someone might check your math.

Hint 3: The y-axis is the bar transverse direction. The y-axis is parallel to the bar diameter.

By the way, GN*m^-2 is called GPa. Always use the correct, special name for a unit. E.g., 200 GPa, not 200 GN*m^-2.

ok so i think i may have the answer:

poisson's ratio = - transverse strain/axial strain
Transverse strain = (39.99 - 40)/40 = -0.25x10^-3
axial strain = -(-0.25x10^-3/0.3) = 833.333x10^-6
Axial stress = 833.333x10^-6 x 200x10^9 = 166.6666x10^6
Force = stress x area
Force = 166.6666x10^6 x (0.25∏x0.04^2) = 5.236x10^6 N

Am i on the right track?

bensm0: Nice work, except you did not check your arithmetic, and got the wrong answer.

Hi there, i am also stuck on this question along with the rest of the assignment to be honest. Bensm0 contact me on here if you want to try and tackle this togeter?

Hi there,

Ive been working on this for most of today and i have come up with the following :

Axial Strain = 8.333 x 10^-4

Axial Stress = 166.66 x 10^6

Force = Stress x Area
= (166.66 x 10^6) x (1.257 x 10^-3)
= 209491.62 N

1. How do you calculate the force required to reduce the diameter of a bar?

To calculate the force required to reduce the diameter of a bar, you can use the formula F = (K x L x ΔD) / L, where F is the required force, K is the modulus of elasticity, L is the length of the bar, and ΔD is the change in diameter.

2. What is the modulus of elasticity?

The modulus of elasticity is a measure of a material's stiffness or how much it will deform under a given amount of force. It is often represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of force per unit of area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa).

3. How does the length of the bar affect the force required to reduce its diameter?

The longer the bar, the greater the force required to reduce its diameter. This is because a longer bar has more material that needs to be compressed, resulting in a higher resistance to deformation.

4. Can the force required to reduce the diameter of a bar be calculated for any material?

Yes, the force required can be calculated for any material as long as the modulus of elasticity is known. However, the actual force required may vary depending on the material's properties and the specific manufacturing process being used.

5. What other factors may affect the force required to reduce the diameter of a bar?

The force required to reduce the diameter of a bar may also be affected by the speed of the reduction process, the temperature of the material, and the type of equipment being used. These factors can influence the material's ability to deform and its resistance to the reduction process.