Roots of a quadratic equation.

In summary, two values for k in the equation x^{2} -12x + k = 0 can be found by solving for α in the equation α2 + α - 12 = 0 and substituting into the second equation. The values for k are 0 and 11. It is important to double check work when solving equations, as factoring or using the Quadratic Formula may yield different solutions than incorrectly factoring.
Darth Frodo

Homework Statement

[itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\alpha^{2}[/itex] are two roots of the equation x[itex]^{2}[/itex] -12x + k = 0

Find 2 values for k.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\alpha[/itex] + [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = 12
[itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]^{3}[/itex] = k

I have no idea where to go from here. Any help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Darth Frodo said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\alpha^{2}[/itex] are two roots of the equation x[itex]^{2}[/itex] -12x + k = 0

Find 2 values for k.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\alpha[/itex] + [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] = 12
[itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]^{3}[/itex] = k

I have no idea where to go from here. Any help appreciated.

Solve for α in the equation α2 + α - 12 = 0. Then substitute into your second equation to find k.

a(1 + a) = 12
a = 12 a = 11

12[itex]^{2}[/itex] - 12(12) + k = 0
k = 0

11[itex]^{2}[/itex] -12(11) + k = 0
k = 11

Is this right, because the answers at the back of my book are k = -64 k = 27

Darth Frodo said:
a(1 + a) = 12
a = 12 a = 11
This is not how to solve a quadratic equation. Read what I said in post #2.
Darth Frodo said:
12[itex]^{2}[/itex] - 12(12) + k = 0
k = 0

11[itex]^{2}[/itex] -12(11) + k = 0
k = 11

Is this right, because the answers at the back of my book are k = -64 k = 27

Last edited:
I apologize both to you and myself for such an error in my judgement.

Is there a rule as to when you are allowed to factorize via taking out what's common? Does the equation have to equal zero?

Darth Frodo said:
I apologize both to you and myself for such an error in my judgement.

Is there a rule as to when you are allowed to factorize via taking out what's common? Does the equation have to equal zero?
Let me be a bit pedantic here by saying that an equation does not equal a number. An expression can be equal to a number, but an equation already has an '=' mark in it, so it would be meaningless to say that an equation is equal to zero or any other number.

What you might be alluding to is a theorem that says if the product of two numbers is 0, then one or the other of the numbers, or both, must be 0.

What you had was a(a + 1) = 12, from which you concluded that a = 12 or a = 11. This doesn't work at all. There are lots of ways that two numbers can multiply to 12, such as 1*12, 2*6, 3*4, (1/3)*36, -1*(-12), etc., etc. If you had checked your work, by replacing a with 12, you would have seen that 12(13) ≠ 12. Similarly, if a = 11, you would have seen that 11(12) ≠ 12.

But, by writing the equation as a2 + 1 - 12 = 0, and then factoring or using the Quadratic Formula, you should come out with the values that are solutions to the equation.

Ah ok, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

1. What are the roots of a quadratic equation?

The roots of a quadratic equation are the values of x that make the equation equal to zero. They are also known as the solutions or zeros of the equation.

2. How do you find the roots of a quadratic equation?

The most common method for finding the roots of a quadratic equation is by using the quadratic formula, which is (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a. This formula can be used for all quadratic equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

3. Can a quadratic equation have more than two roots?

No, a quadratic equation can have a maximum of two distinct roots. This is because a quadratic equation is a polynomial of degree 2, meaning it can have a maximum of 2 solutions.

4. What do the roots of a quadratic equation represent?

The roots of a quadratic equation represent the x-intercepts of the graph of the equation. They are the points where the graph crosses the x-axis.

5. How do the roots of a quadratic equation relate to the coefficients?

The roots of a quadratic equation are related to the coefficients through the quadratic formula. The values of a, b, and c in the formula correspond to the coefficients in the quadratic equation, and the roots are found by solving for x.