Unpolarised light, stokes vector and image matrices.

In summary, to apply Mueller matrices to an image matrix in Matlab, you will need to first convert the image matrix to a vector of Stokes parameters, apply the Mueller matrices to the vector, and then convert the vector back into an image matrix.
RacerX
I was working on a project of image encryption and I got stuck at something.

I'll go point-wise.

1. I need to make optical element filters like linear polariser, circular polariser, retardets etc. working in matlab.
2. I decided to use mueller calculus and stokes vectors.

So, I would use the stokes vector for unpolarised light and multiply with it an image matrix to get the image information,...this would be the incident beam on the optical element.

and then, apply mueller matrices to get the desired results.

Now, because stokes vectors are of [4*1] size and images are of arbit matrix sizes, they can't go multiplication.
for eg. (4x1)*(256x256) ?? :frown:

and further mueller matrices can't be operated either.

Is there any work around to this?
or Am I doing something wrong above?
Please help.

Thanks
RacerX

Physics news on Phys.org
The issue you are running into is that the Stokes vector can only be applied to a single pixel at a time, so you would need to iterate it over every pixel in the image matrix. To apply Mueller matrices to the image matrix, you will need to first convert the image matrix into a vector of Stokes parameters, then apply the Mueller matrices to the vector, and then convert the vector back into an image matrix. This process should allow you to apply Mueller matrices to your image matrix.

1. What is unpolarised light?

Unpolarised light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has no preferred direction of oscillation. This means that the electric and magnetic fields of the light wave are oriented in all possible directions perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

2. What is the Stokes vector and how is it related to polarisation?

The Stokes vector is a mathematical representation of the polarisation state of light. It contains four values that describe the intensity and polarisation of a light wave. These values are used to calculate the degree of polarisation and the orientation of the polarisation ellipse.

3. How is polarisation measured using the Stokes vector?

Polarisation can be measured using the Stokes vector by using a polarimeter. A polarimeter is an optical instrument that measures the intensity of light in different polarisation states, and then uses this information to calculate the Stokes vector.

4. What is an image matrix and how is it used in imaging?

An image matrix is a grid of numbers that represents the intensity values of pixels in an image. Each pixel in the image corresponds to a value in the matrix, and these values can be used to reconstruct the image. Image matrices are used in imaging techniques such as MRI and CT scans.

5. Can unpolarised light be converted into polarised light?

Yes, unpolarised light can be converted into polarised light using various techniques such as polarising filters, birefringent crystals, and polarisation gratings. These methods work by selectively transmitting or reflecting light waves with a specific polarisation state, resulting in a polarised output.