Electromagnetism in my physics class

In summary: When you hook up an alternating voltage to a transformer, it works as intended. Only a small amount of current "circulates" in the circuit due to the inducatance of the primary.
sp00ky
Well I was learning bits about Electromagnetism in my physics class and we were learning about transformers and thought it was kind of neat. I was just wondering why transformers use alterneting current and why power must be delivered at such high voltages across transmission lines? Also, how is transformers used in delivering poweer to homes from the hydro-electic power plant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Transformers will not work with DC, only with AC. If you connect a battery across the terminals of a transformer, the current in the primary will rise linearly with time, due to the inductance of the primary, until eventually the core saturates at which point the current will rise even more quickly, until it becomes limited only by the resistance of the wire. This happens even with no load on the secondary.

When you hook up an alternating voltage to a transformer, it works as intended. Only a small amount of current "circulates" in the circuit due to the inducatance of the primary. Thus if there is no load on the secondary, very little current will flow in the primary either.

Transmission lines work at high voltages to keep the losses due to resistance down. The power loss due to the resistance of the lines is I^2*R. The power carried by a line is V*I. Therefore by making V high and I small, a minimum of power is lost due to resistance for a given amount of power transmitted.

The CHANGE of current generate magnetic flux, and the CHANGE of megnetic flux generate voltage...Steady don't generate magnetic flux therefore we need alterneting current...
remember [tex]power=I^2R[/tex] the resistance in the transmission line generate heat, which is a waste of energy, in order to minimize the power loss, we want to keep the current [tex]I[/tex] low.. the only way to do that is make the voltages high [tex] power=IV[/tex], if the power unchange low I implies high V.

Oh okay, makes sense. But how do transformers actually operate?

oh thanks for that link. Is this right: The primary coil receives alternating current and the secondary coil basically stimulates the potential difference? Dunno if stimulates if the best word for it.

yes, basically, you r rite

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interactions between electrically charged particles. It encompasses the study of electric fields, magnetic fields, and how they are related.

2. How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are actually different aspects of the same fundamental force. A changing electric field can create a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can create an electric field. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

3. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of wave that is created by oscillations of electric and magnetic fields. These waves can travel through a vacuum and do not require a medium to propagate. Examples of electromagnetic waves include radio waves, microwaves, visible light, and X-rays.

4. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet is created by running an electric current through a coil of wire. This current creates a magnetic field around the wire, and the coil shape of the wire amplifies the strength of the field. Electromagnets are commonly used in motors, generators, and other devices that require a magnetic field to function.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is when the direction of the current periodically reverses, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. AC electricity is typically used for long-distance power transmission, while DC is used for smaller devices such as batteries. Electromagnetic waves can also be used to transmit AC electricity wirelessly.