2nd Bachelors vs. Grad School

In summary, it is possible to pursue a higher degree without a bachelor's in your chosen field, although it may be more challenging. You may need to take additional coursework, complete a pre-application process, or consider interdisciplinary or joint degree programs. Accelerated degree programs may also be an option to save time and money.
blaughli
I am a 28 year old community college student who is about to finish his last semester before "transferring". I put that in quotes because I was actually denied acceptance to all of the schools that I applied to. I have a bachelor's in computing arts, and it seems to be the worst time ever to try to get a second bachelor's in California.

I started out my second try at college with the intention of becoming an engineer. I sort of fell in love with computer science and physics along the way, and I'm a bit lost at the moment in regards to what to do next. I have a 3.9 gpa at community college, but after being denied I'm not sure what that's really worth.

My question to anyone who has experience is how might I combine these interests, or even just follow one if need be, and pursue a higher degree. My current "plan" is to work an internship that I've landed over the summer, try to get another internship or job next fall, and study for and take the GRE. Then hopefully I can get accepted as a conditional masters or phD student somewhere in a year.

So, that's my basic outlook. At first it sounded silly to go after a masters or phD without a bachelor's in one's chosen field, but it's looking like that might be my only hope of finishing my science education. Is this possible? Has it been done? How might I best go about it? And can I honor my duel interest CS and Physics?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks for your time
B

Physics news on Phys.org
lessings. It is possible to pursue a higher degree without a bachelor's in your chosen field, although it may be more challenging. You may need to take additional coursework to demonstrate your proficiency in the subject and prove that you have the academic ability to do graduate-level work. Additionally, some programs may require you to take a qualifying exam or complete a pre-application process. If you are interested in pursuing a dual degree in CS and Physics, you may want to look into interdisciplinary degree programs that combine both fields. Many universities offer programs such as Computer Science & Physics, Applied Physics & Computer Science, or Computer Science & Engineering that allow students to study both disciplines in one degree program. If you are unable to find a university that offers an interdisciplinary degree program, you may want to consider applying for a joint degree program. A joint degree program allows you to simultaneously pursue two separate degrees from two different departments or schools. With this option, you can apply to two different programs at once and earn two separate degrees in the same amount of time as it would take to earn one degree. Finally, you should also consider applying to institutions that offer accelerated degree programs. These programs allow you to complete your degree in a shorter amount of time, as they often allow you to transfer credits from your previous studies and/or waive certain courses. This can help you save time and money while still achieving your educational goals. Good luck with your educational journey!

What is the difference between obtaining a 2nd Bachelor's degree and attending graduate school?

Obtaining a 2nd Bachelor's degree involves completing another undergraduate program, while attending graduate school typically involves pursuing a higher level of education after completing a Bachelor's degree.

What are the advantages of pursuing a 2nd Bachelor's degree over attending graduate school?

Some advantages of obtaining a 2nd Bachelor's degree include a shorter time commitment, lower cost, and the ability to gain knowledge and skills in a new field.

What are the benefits of attending graduate school instead of obtaining a 2nd Bachelor's degree?

Attending graduate school allows individuals to specialize in a specific area of study, potentially leading to higher salaries and career advancement. It also offers opportunities for research and networking.

Can you switch from a 2nd Bachelor's program to a graduate program?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a 2nd Bachelor's program to a graduate program. However, it may depend on the specific program and institution's requirements and whether the credits earned in the 2nd Bachelor's program are transferable to the graduate program.

Can you attend graduate school without a Bachelor's degree?

In most cases, a Bachelor's degree is required for admission into graduate school. However, some programs may allow individuals with significant work experience or a strong academic background to apply without a Bachelor's degree.