An odd Volume problem/how to find the area of a part of a circle

In summary, you could bore a hole in a cylindrical piece of wood with a 1 inch diameter drill bit perpendicular to the axis of the cylindrical piece of wood. The volume of the hole created is the volume of the displaced sawdust.
Wooh
Hmm, is there an easy way to evaluate this integral: 2*integral(sqrt[.25-x^2],-y,y). Basically, I want to know how to find the area as depicted by the attached image (untitled) as a function.

This goes along with a problem that I am trying to solve. If you know how to do it or something, please spoilerize as I would like to figure it out on my own. I think I have a FORM of an answer but it is really, really ugly.

I will also attach the form of the answr that I got, and would like critiquing.

You have a 1 inch diameter cylindrical piece of wood of indeterminate length. You have a 1 inch diameter drill bit. You bore into the wood perpendicular to it with the drill bit. What is the volume of the hole create, or the volume of the displaced sawdust (same value).

Anyone think my answer is wrong/have a way to simplify it? I am only in AP BC calc and have no idea how to integrate that :X

I put it in my calculator, and it says that the answer is 2/3. Anyone have any input?

Attachments

• calcanswer.gif
    calcanswer.gif
    1 KB · Views: 449
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
aaanyone have an idea?

I'm going to need to see that attachment. As soon as its approved and all...

are you doing:
[tex]2\int^y_{-y}\sqrt{-.25-x^2[/tex]

if so, i think it would be best to go ahead an integrate [itex]\sqrt{-.25-x^2}[/itex] and solve it from a (-y) to b (y). I am not really sure. I am a newbie when it comes to calculus :smile: . and I am assuming your point a is 1 and b is 1...im not sure, because you just put -y to y. if you could clear that up for me, then i could possibly tackle the problem. i can't see the attachments, because they are pending approval.

The Divine Zephyr said:
I'm going to need to see that attachment. As soon as its approved and all...
As far as my screen, it seems to have attached ok...

But basically it is

[tex]
2\int_{-.5} ^{.5} (\int_{-\sqrt{.25-y^2}} ^{\sqrt{.25-y^2} }\sqrt{.25-x^2}dx)dy
[/tex]

That is for the second problem.

And additionally, I have no idea how to simply integrate (for a circle of, let's say radius 2)
[tex]
\int _{-1} ^{1} \sqrt{4-x^2} dx
[/tex]

Edit: well, I can "integrate it" with a really ugly sector+triangle thing, but I hope there is a better way...I don't want to have to do with once with a decently ugly equation, and then again with a horribly ugly one.

Last edited:
Wooh said:
And additionally, I have no idea how to simply integrate (for a circle of, let's say radius 2)
[tex]
\int _{-1} ^{1} \sqrt{4-x^2} dx
[/tex]

Edit: well, I can "integrate it" with a really ugly sector+triangle thing, but I hope there is a better way...I don't want to have to do with once with a decently ugly equation, and then again with a horribly ugly one.
You could go about this in many ways. For a beginning student, it is easiest to see the trigonometric substitution. The integrand is easily seen as the length of a leg of a right triangle whose other leg has length x and whose hypotenuse is of length 2. Thus, the impenetrable square root of the integrand can be rewritten as 2cos(t), where t is the angle between the leg of length [tex]\sqrt{4-x^2}[/tex] and the hypotenuse.Now we need to rewrite dx in terms of dt.
We see from our triangle that sin(t) = x/4, so x = sin(t)/4. Thus, dx = [cos(t)/4] dt.
Next we change our limits of integration, since they are technically from x=-1 to x=1 and we're going to integrate over t. From our previous equation, we see t = arcsin(x/4), so our integral becomes:
[tex]
\int _{-\arcsin(1/4)} ^{\arcsin(1/4)} \frac{1}{2}\cos^2(t) dt
[/tex]
which is an integral you should know how to do.

ah, well, there I go. Thanks! Hmm, I am going to have to try and apply that to the other one. Can you take a look at the other one too?

Bump? I would really like a little direction :X

1.A circle has 0 area and 0 volume...Let's get that straight...
2.You've already been explained what substitution to use in order to integrate that radical...

Daniel.

It's not homework. I am doing an extra problem for fun. Can you at least let me know if 2/3 is correct? I just don't want to be chasin' waterfalls...

How about posting your work,so that we can figure out what u did right/wrong and how u ended up with that result...

Daniel.

P.S.U could have picked the answer from the back of the book... :wink:

It was a problem my calc teacher gave me to work out. Work will be forthcoming. It is just hard to get work onto the internet, which is why I was hoping someone could at least criticize the 2/3 value. thanks though.

1. What is an odd volume problem?

An odd volume problem refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the volume of an irregular or unusual shape. This can be a challenge because the shape may not have a formula for calculating its volume, requiring creative thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How do I find the area of a part of a circle?

To find the area of a part of a circle, you can use the formula A = (θ/360)πr², where θ is the central angle in degrees and r is the radius of the circle. Simply plug in the values and solve for A to find the area of the desired part of the circle.

3. Can I use the same formula to find the area of a sector of a circle?

Yes, the formula for finding the area of a part of a circle can also be used to find the area of a sector of a circle. Just make sure to use the central angle of the sector in degrees when plugging in the values.

4. What if the part of the circle is not a sector, but a more complex shape?

In that case, you will need to break down the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and find the area of each one. Then, add all the areas together to find the total area of the part of the circle.

5. How can I check if my answer to an odd volume problem is correct?

You can check your answer by using a different method or formula to find the volume, or by plugging your answer back into the original problem to see if it satisfies all the given conditions. Another option is to use a calculator or software to verify your calculations.