Ionization Energy of Lithium problem

In summary, the energy required to strip three electrons from a Li(g) atom is 1.96*10^4 kJ/mol, with a first ionization energy of 520 kJ/mol. In order to calculate the second ionization energy of Lithium atoms, the equation frequency = (3.29x10^15s^-1)Z^2(1/n^2i - 1/n^2f) is used, but this only applies when there is one electron. For multiple electrons, the ionization energy must be measured or provided.
wee00x
The energy needed to strip all three electrons from a Li(g) atom was found to be 1.96*10^4 kJ/mol. The first ionization energy of Li is 520 kJ/mol. Calculate the second ionization energy of Lithium atoms (the energy required for the process)

Li+(g) ---> Li+2 + e-

Equation: frequency = (3.29x10^15s-1)Z^2(1/n^2i - 1/n^2f)

Ei + hv = Ef

My question: These equations can give me the energy of each energy level but how do I find the energy of required for ionization??

Physics news on Phys.org
Ionization means energy is higher than the one needed for the electron to jump from n=1 to n=∞.

But then how would that be calculated?

For very large n 1/n2 is for all practical purposes equal to zero.

wee00x said:
Equation: frequency = (3.29x10^15s-1)Z^2(1/n^2i - 1/n^2f)
That equation only works when there is one electron. If there are two or more, you pretty much have to measure (or be told) what the ionization energy is.

So, in what situation does the above equation apply to lithium?

Last edited:

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in its gaseous state.

2. Why is lithium used in ionization energy problems?

Lithium is used in ionization energy problems because it is a highly reactive element with a low atomic number, making it easier to remove electrons from its outer shell.

3. How is ionization energy measured?

Ionization energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV).

4. What factors affect the ionization energy of lithium?

The ionization energy of lithium is affected by factors such as the size of the atom, the number of protons in the nucleus, and the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electron.

5. How does ionization energy relate to the reactivity of lithium?

The lower the ionization energy of an element, the more reactive it is. Since lithium has a low ionization energy, it is highly reactive and can easily lose an electron to form a positively charged ion.