Mass, Volume and Specific Gravity

In summary: In order to find the mass of the substance in the mixture, you will need to use the equation mass = volume * specific gravity, where the volume is given in gallons and the specific gravity is unitless. However, to convert the specific gravity to mass units, you will need to know the density of water.
wahaj
I am trying to solve a question which gives me the volume of a mixture and its specific gravity and the percentage of one of the substances in that mixture by mass(everything else in the mixture is irrelevant). I need to find the mass of that substance but I can't seem to understand what I am doing. From what I understand, to get the amount of the substance in the mixture by mass I need the mass of the solution. I looked up this formula on the internet
volume = mass/specific gravity
using this I can find the mass of the mixture which I can use to find the mass of the substance. according to the above formula
mass = volume * specific gravity
volume is in gallons and S.G is unitless. this gives me a mass in gallons. At this point I am totally lost since I can't find the mass in mass units unless I have the density. I have never worked with specific gravity before so I don't really know too much about it aside from the fact that its a ratio of densities which doesn't really help me much. So how would I find the mass with the information I'm given?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi wahaj! welcome to pf! :smile:
wahaj said:
… mass = volume * specific gravity
volume is in gallons and S.G is unitless. this gives me a mass in gallons. At this point I am totally lost since I can't find the mass in mass units unless I have the density. I have never worked with specific gravity before so I don't really know too much about it aside from the fact that its a ratio of densities which doesn't really help me much.

the missing information is that specific gravity is always relative to water (unless the question specifies otherwise) …

so you only need to know the density of water :wink:

Specifically, the specific gravity of a substance is its density divided by the density of water.

1. What is mass and how is it measured?

Mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g) using a scale or balance.

2. How is volume defined and what units are used to measure it?

Volume is the amount of space an object occupies. It can be measured in cubic meters (m3) or cubic centimeters (cm3) using tools such as rulers, graduated cylinders, or beakers.

3. What is specific gravity and how is it calculated?

Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of water. It is typically measured using a hydrometer and calculated by dividing the density of the substance by the density of water.

4. What is the relationship between mass, volume, and density?

Mass and volume are directly related to an object's density. The density of an object is equal to its mass divided by its volume. This means that as an object's mass or volume increases, its density also increases.

5. How can specific gravity be used in practical applications?

Specific gravity is commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, brewing, and winemaking to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It is also used in geology to identify different types of rocks and minerals based on their specific gravity values.