Which to use to calculate I: P=VI or V=IR

• Thread starter liangtp
  • Start date
In summary, the given information is inconsistent and does not provide enough clarification to accurately determine the current flowing in the power transmission cable. Multiple possible answers can be derived based on the different combinations of given values. The question may be flawed or missing key information.
liangtp
Hi,

In a power transmission cable, the power, P=24W, Voltage=12V, the resistance of the cable, R=4 ohm.

What is the current that flows in this cable? Shall I use P=VI or V=IR to calculate the current?
Both seems to give different answers.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm fairly certain that this situation is impossible fundamentally. You should get the same answer for both.

One of your given values seems to be incorrect.

If the voltage and resistance are correct, then:
P = V2/R = 12V2/4Ω = 36W

If power and voltage are correct:
R = V2/P = 122/24W = 6Ω

If power and resistance are correct:
V = √(P*R) = √(24W*4Ω) = 9.8V

Last edited:
Thanks all for your response.

Agreed with both of you.
Somehow my gut instinct told me that the question I had was somehow flawed.

Thanks again.

liangtp said:
Hi,

In a power transmission cable, the power, P=24W, Voltage=12V, the resistance of the cable, R=4 ohm.

What is the current that flows in this cable? Shall I use P=VI or V=IR to calculate the current?
Both seems to give different answers.

Thanks

In this type of situation, or power system, it is generally meant,
the power source is a 12V source and it is delivering 24W power.
In such case, for current flowing from the source, use
P = VI
Then I = 2A.

Probably a load of 2 ohms is missing from the problem, which makes total resistance 6 ohm.
You shouldn't use V=IR unless the problem clearly indicates 12V is dropped in the resistance R.

It's also useful to remember that P = V2/R (alternatively P = I2R)

You can of course derive both expressions.
You can see immediately that 12*12/4 is not 24 so the question is nonsense.

Neandethal00 said:
Probably a load of 2 ohms is missing from the problem, which makes total resistance 6 ohm.
I think that is the solution to the issue.
A power transmission cable is supposed to transmit something - using it as short circuit (with just the cable resistance) would be a bit pointless anyway.

=> Current I=24W/12V=2A

The cable will get P=I^2*R = 4A^2*4Ω=16W of heat, and the load will receive 4A^2*2Ω=8W.

The question is not clear enough to be sure you can get the right answer.

For example..

The power is 24W but is that the transmitted power or the power dissipated in the load?
The voltage is 12V but is that the voltage at the source or the load?

So that's at least four possible right answers!

In most situations a transmission system has to be designed to suit the load not the source. For example in a PC the motherboard needs defined voltages (with a tollerance) measured at the motherboard not at the power supply end of the wiring loom.

So one valid answer would be to assume the load needs 12V delivered and will draw 24W.

That would suggest the current through the load is 24W/12V = 2A.
If the the cable resistance is 4 Ohms the source voltage needs to be 12+2*4 = 20V.
The power delivered by the source would be 20V * 2A = 40W.

but as I said that's just one of a number of possible answers that could be argued are correct given the problem statement is so loose.

1. What is the difference between P=VI and V=IR?

The main difference between the two equations is that P=VI is used to calculate power (P) by multiplying voltage (V) and current (I), while V=IR is used to calculate voltage (V) by multiplying current (I) and resistance (R).

2. When should I use P=VI and when should I use V=IR?

You should use P=VI when you need to calculate the power consumed by an electrical device, such as a light bulb or a motor. On the other hand, you should use V=IR when you need to calculate the voltage drop across a specific component in a circuit, such as a resistor or an LED.

3. Can I use P=VI to calculate voltage or V=IR to calculate power?

Technically, you can use P=VI to calculate voltage and V=IR to calculate power, but it would not be the most accurate approach. It is best to use each equation for its intended purpose to ensure accurate results.

4. What are the units for P=VI and V=IR?

The units for P=VI are watts (W), while the units for V=IR are volts (V). Both equations can also be rearranged to solve for different units, such as using P=VI to calculate current (I) in amperes (A) or using V=IR to calculate resistance (R) in ohms (Ω).

5. How do I know which equation to use in a specific situation?

To determine which equation to use, you first need to identify what you are trying to calculate. If you are trying to find the power consumed by a device, then P=VI would be the appropriate equation. If you are trying to find the voltage drop across a component, then V=IR would be the appropriate equation. It is always important to understand the concept and purpose of each equation before applying them in a specific situation.