Confusion over Rolling with Friction and Rolling Without Slipping

In summary, the problem involves a rotating cylinder of mass m and initial rotational velocity ω0 on a surface with coefficient of kinetic friction μk. The solution involves setting the torque equal to the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration and the force equal to mass times linear acceleration. The frictional force acts in the direction opposite to the motion of the cylinder, producing a counterclockwise torque. The final answer is t = (Rω0)/(3gμk).
mhz

Homework Statement

This isn't a specific question, more of a general one:

Suppose there is a cylinder of mass [itex]m[/itex] that is rotating in the positive clockwise direction with initial rotational velocity [itex]\omega_0[/itex], and radius [itex]R[/itex].

Then, suppose this rotating cylinder is placed on a surface with coefficient of kinetic friction [itex]\mu_k[/itex].

How long after it is placed this surface does it begin to roll without slipping?

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau = I\alpha \\
F = ma \\
I_{cyl} = \frac{mR^2}{2} \\
v = v_0 + at \\
\omega = \omega_0 + \alpha t \\[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm torn between two approaches.

The first - couldn't I simply solve for a and alpha, set the two linear/angular velocity equations equal to each other for the case that v = r(omega) and solve for t?

The second - using energy, I could say that the initial rotational kinetic energy equals the final rotational kinetic energy plus toe final kinetic energy plus the energy lost to friction, find d or final velocity when v = r(omega) and use kinematics to solve for t?

Physics news on Phys.org
First approach sounds good (devil in the details).

Second approach sounds complicated to me. The cylinder slips on the surface so the the distance that friction acts is not the same as the distance the cylinder travels. But if you take that into account, I guess this approach should work.

So would this be correct?

[itex] \tau = I\alpha = -fR \implies \alpha = \frac{-2\mu_kg}{R} \\
-f=ma \implies a = - \mu_k g \\
v = v_0 + at \implies v = at \text{ Since there is no initial velocity} \\
\omega = \omega_o + \alpha t \implies at = r\omega_0 + r\alpha t \implies -\mu_k g t = r \omega_0 = 2\mu_k g t \implies t = \frac{r\omega_0}{\mu_k g}[/itex]

mhz said:
So would this be correct?

[itex] \tau = I\alpha = -fR \implies \alpha = \frac{-2\mu_kg}{R} \\
-f=ma \implies a = - \mu_k g \\
v = v_0 + at \implies v = at \text{ Since there is no initial velocity} \\
\omega = \omega_o + \alpha t \implies at = r\omega_0 + r\alpha t \implies -\mu_k g t = r \omega_0 = 2\mu_k g t \implies t = \frac{r\omega_0}{\mu_k g}[/itex]

I think it looks good except for one point. Why did you write ##-f = ma## with a negative sign for the force?

To be consistent, considering that frictional force acts in the negative direction, if both were positive the final answer would be negative

Also I have lowercase f as frictional force, F as net force

mhz said:
To be consistent, considering that frictional force acts in the negative direction, if both were positive the final answer would be negative

Also I have lowercase f as frictional force, F as net force

What direction are you taking to be positive for the linear motion? If the cylinder is initially spinning clockwise, what direction will it the travel along the surface? Is the direction it travels also your positive direction?

- <-----------> +

Clockwise = Positive

Actually, shouldn't the angular acceleration be positive? As the frictional force applies a positive torque.

Think carefully about the direction of the friction force on the cylinder while it is slipping on the surface. Is it to the right or to the left?

Assuming the ball is moving to the right, I would imagine the friction force is to the left.

What propels the ball to move to the right?

One possible source of confusion is that that the friction force could refer to the force the cylinder exerts onto the surface, or the force the surface exerts onto the cylinder (a Newton third law pair).

Assuming you want to consider the force the surface exerts on the cylinder, then if the cylinder is slidng and spinning clockwise, the direction of force from the surface onto the cylinder is to the right, resulting in linear acceleration to the right and angular deceleration of the cylinder (also keep in mind your convention of ω being positive for clockwise rotation). If you allow α to be negative (since there is angular deceleration), then you have:

f = m a
f R = τ = I α

and you can continue with rest of the equations you've already determined.

Here is a solution I found:

lFGai.png

However, why don't they account for energy lost due to friction?

Everything in your solution was correct except the direction of the friction force. As the cylinder spins clockwise and slips on the surface, it scrapes against the surface and tries to push the surface to the left. So, the surface pushes on the cylinder to the right (+ direction). That force to the right on the cylinder produces a counterclockwise torque (your - direction). So, you had the sign of the torque correct. It is just the direction of ##f## in ##F = ma## that you need to correct.

mhz said:
Here is a solution I found:

lFGai.png

However, why don't they account for energy lost due to friction?

Right. That solution is bogus. They also have the friction on the cylinder pointing in the wrong direction as well as not taking into account heat produced by friction. Note that if the direction of the friction is as shown, then the cylinder would increase it's rate of spin!

Haha oh man, it is quite challenge studying for my Physics final using the finals and solutions posted by my professors when half the answers are wrong (this has happened for maybe 6 or 7 questions since I've begun studying lol).

Anyway that makes perfect sense guys, thanks a lot!

So, what do you get for the answer now? It's Rω0/(3gμk), right?

Yes that's right

What is the difference between rolling with friction and rolling without slipping?

Rolling with friction refers to the motion of an object that is rolling while also experiencing a force of friction. This means that the object is both rotating and translating. On the other hand, rolling without slipping refers to the motion of an object that is rolling without experiencing any force of friction. In this case, the object is only rotating and there is no translational motion.

How does friction affect the motion of a rolling object?

Friction can affect the motion of a rolling object in different ways. If the object is rolling with friction, the force of friction can slow down or speed up the object's motion. If the object is rolling without slipping, the force of friction is not present and therefore has no effect on the motion of the object.

What is the role of the coefficient of friction in rolling motion?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In the case of rolling motion, the coefficient of friction determines the strength of the force of friction acting on the object. A higher coefficient of friction means a stronger force of friction and therefore a greater effect on the object's motion.

How does the surface on which an object is rolling affect its motion?

The surface on which an object is rolling can greatly affect its motion. A rough surface will result in a greater force of friction and therefore a slower rolling speed. A smooth surface will have less friction and allow the object to roll faster. The type of surface also affects the coefficient of friction, which can impact the object's motion.

Can an object roll without slipping if there is friction present?

Yes, an object can roll without slipping even if there is friction present. This is possible if the force of friction is equal to the force required to cause the object to slip. In this case, the object will roll without slipping, but the force of friction will be necessary to maintain the object's motion.