Clarification of electrical terms

In summary, Bobbywhy was not satisfied with the dictionary explanation of the difference between amps, watts, and joules, so he checked Wikipedia. He found that amps, watts, and joules are all measures of power, and that they all have different uses.
treplag
I am embarrassed to be asking such an elementary question, but I want someone to explain the difference between amps, watts, and joules. I tried a dictionary, but it wasn't specific enough.

Engineering news on Phys.org
treplag, No one here on Physics Forums will spoon-feed you this information.

If you are serious about learning electricity and electronics, this free downloadable book is the best choice for self study possible!

“Here is the "Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses" (NAVPERS 10622) in its entirety (or will be eventually). It should provide one of the Internet's best resources for people seeking a basic electricity course - complete with examples worked out (links to quizzes at end of chapters).
Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses
NAVPERS 10622
PREFACE
This book is intended as a basic reference for all enlisted men of the Navy whose duties require them to have a knowledge of the fundamentals of electricity.”
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/Electricity%20-%20Basic%20Navy%20Training%20Courses/electricity%20-%20basic%20navy%20training%20courses.htm

As you go through this book if you have some doubts or specific questions, then do come right back here and post them. Members here are always willing to assist a true searcher willing to learn science.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobbywhy - I appreciate the detailed information, and I will definitely check it out. But I don't appreciate the condescension. If I were not genuinely interested in an answer, I would not have wasted my time to post the question. I am new to this site, and receiving a supercilious response to my first post hardly encourages me to further my knowledge via this venue.

treplag, I apologise if you felt condescension in my post. I certainly did not intend to insult your dignity. So, you used the dictionary to learn the difference between those three terms and were not satisfied. No surprise there.

May I suggest you check Wikipedia. If you learn what each term means then their differences will be obvious. I used those terms in Google search and found these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

treplag;4224486[... said:
But I don't appreciate the condescension. If I were not genuinely interested in an answer, I would not have wasted my time to post the question. I am new to this site, and receiving a supercilious response to my first post hardly encourages me to further my knowledge via this venue.
Stop victimizing yourself, you asked a bad question and got called out on it.

To make up for it, I'm expecting you to follow this up with a new post where you answer your own question—or, as Bobbywhy said, at least try and we'll see where that gets us. Good luck.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3588

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobbywhy - Thank you for that update and the links. No hard feelings. Cheers!

1. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, measured in volts. It is the driving force that pushes electrons through a circuit. Current, on the other hand, is the flow of electrons through a circuit, measured in amperes. It is a measure of the amount of electricity passing through a point in a circuit per unit of time.

2. What is resistance and how is it related to voltage and current?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of electrons in a circuit, measured in ohms. It is related to voltage and current through Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

3. How is power related to voltage and current?

Power is the rate at which electrical energy is transferred or used, measured in watts. It is related to voltage and current through the equation P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. This means that the higher the voltage or current, the more power is being used or transferred.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is the type of electricity used in most homes and buildings. It constantly changes direction, meaning the flow of electrons alternates between positive and negative. DC (direct current) electricity, on the other hand, flows in only one direction. It is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

5. What is the purpose of a circuit breaker or fuse?

Circuit breakers and fuses are safety devices designed to protect circuits from overload. When the current in a circuit exceeds a certain level, the breaker or fuse will "trip" and break the circuit, preventing damage to the electrical system and potential fire hazards.