Transforming Maxwell's Equations in Special Relativity.

In summary, the transformation rules for Maxwell's equations in special relativity were first derived by Einstein in his 1905 paper using a primitive method that relied on existing principles. The equations were rewritten in the form of tensor calculus, which is now considered the simplest method for deriving the transformation rules. Further developments have led to even simpler explanations in current books on general relativity.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
What is the simplest derivation of the transformation rules for Maxwell's equations in special relativity?

I'm working through Einstein's original 1905 paper(available here), and I'm having trouble with the section on the transformation of Maxwell's equations from rest to moving frame.

The paper proceeds as follows:
Let the Maxwell-Hertz equations for empty space hold good for the stationary system K, so that we have

img78.gif

where (X, Y, Z) denotes the vector of the electric force, and (L, M, N) that of the magnetic force.

If we apply to these equations the transformation developed in § 3, by referring the electromagnetic processes to the system of co-ordinates there introduced, moving with the velocity v, we obtain the equations

img79.gif
I do not understand just where this second set of equations comes from.

The only derivations of this transformation that I have been able to find involve either potentials, four-vectors, or both. However since four-vectors had not been invented in 1905, and because the statement of the transformation is so blunt, it seems that Einstein is using or appealing to a simpler method for finding the transformation.

So my question is: What is the simplest derivation of the transformation rules for Maxwell's equations in special relativity? Is Einstein appealing to a pre-existing Lorentz method here, or is there a trick to accomplish all of this quickly? Or does the text here simply belie the true work involved in the derivation?

Physics news on Phys.org
They come from "the transformation developed in § 3,", one supposes.

There are some recent threads in this forum discussing the derivation of that transformation from first principles. It turns out be non-trivial. If you are what your moniker suggests, you'll enjoy them, obsessively.

Could you give links to the relevant threads, for future googlers if nothing else.

Einstein's derivation is much more complicated than necessary, because he had not the elegant mathematical formulation by Minkowski at hand, which makes everything way easier.

You can either go via the electromagnetic four-potential [itex](A^{\mu})=(\Phi,\vec{A})[/itex] (in good old Gaussian or Heaviside-Lorentz units, which are way more natural in this context than the SI), which transform as a vector field under [itex]\mathrm{O}(1,3)[/itex]:
[tex]A'^{\mu}(x')={\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu} A^{\nu}(x)={\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\nu} A^{\nu}(\Lambda^{-1} x'),[/tex]
or via the gauge independent Faraday tensor [itex]F_{\mu \nu}=\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}[/itex] which transforms as a 2nd-rank tensor field:
[tex]F'^{\mu \nu}(x')={\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\rho} {\Lambda^{\nu}}_{\sigma} F^{\rho \sigma}(\Lambda^{-1} x').[/tex]
Here [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is a [itex]\mathrm{O}(1,3)[/itex] matrix, i.e., a matrix fulfilling
[tex]\eta_{\mu \nu} {\Lambda^{\mu}}_{\rho} {\Lambda^{\nu}}_{\sigma}=\eta_{\rho \sigma}, \quad (\eta_{\mu \nu})=\text{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1).[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
Einstein's derivation is much more complicated than necessary, because he had not the elegant mathematical formulation by Minkowski at hand, which makes everything way easier.
But he doesn't give a derivation, and seems to rely on existing principals. How exactly did he go about it without four-vectors, etc?

ObsessiveMathsFreak said:
Could you give links to the relevant threads, for future googlers if nothing else.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=651640

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=600613

This is a good post in the first linked thread

Pervect said:
Didn't the paper that Ben mentioned in another thread, http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0302045, go through all this?

The assumptions that that paper made were (skimming)

* replacing v with -v must invert the transform
* isotropy
* homogeneity of space and time

with a few tricks along the way:
* adding a third frame
* noting that x=vt implies x'=0

The result was pretty much that there must be some invariant velocity that was the same for all observers. (THere were some arguments about sign of a constant before this to establish that it was positive). The remaining step is to identify this with the speed of light.

Last edited:
To clarify, I'm not talking about the derivation of Lorentz transforms. I'm asking about the transformation of Maxwell's equations in special relativity. How are these derived without using 4-vectors?

I suspect the first step is to expand the derivatives in the un-transformed Maxwell equations using the chain rule for partial derivatives, e.g.

$$\frac{\partial X}{\partial t} =
\frac{\partial X}{\partial \tau} \frac{\partial \tau}{\partial t} +
\frac{\partial X}{\partial \xi} \frac{\partial \xi}{\partial t} +
\frac{\partial X}{\partial \eta} \frac{\partial \eta}{\partial t} +
\frac{\partial X}{\partial \zeta} \frac{\partial \zeta}{\partial t}$$

where derivatives like ##\partial \tau / \partial t## are calculated using the (Lorentz) transformation from section 3. Many of these derivatives are zero if we assume v is along the x-axis as Einstein appears to do. Then collect terms so as to produce the transformed equations in terms of derivatives like ##\partial X / \partial \tau##. This would be the brute-force method. There may be a more elegant method.

Last edited:
What is the simplest derivation of the transformation rules for Maxwell's equations in special relativity?
The only derivations of this transformation that I have been able to find involve either potentials, four-vectors, or both. However since four-vectors had not been invented in 1905, and because the statement of the transformation is so blunt, it seems that Einstein is using or appealing to a simpler method for finding the transformation.
It seems unlikely that there's a simpler method than to rewrite them in the form listed to the right of "tensor calculus" here.

Einstein must have used a more primitive method, but it was hardly simpler.

jtbell said:
I suspect the first step is to expand the derivatives in the un-transformed Maxwell equations using the chain rule for partial derivatives, e.g.
That was the first thing I tried, but I couldn't see how it would work.

Perhaps it is based on the galilean/linear transformations of the equations. Does anyone have a reference for the raw Newtonian/Galilean transformation of Maxwell's equations?

Einstein must have used a more primitive method, but it was hardly simpler.
It has always baffled me why anyone would care how Einstein did it 100 years ago. We've come a long way since then, and any current book on GR will convey to the reader a a simpler explanation and a better understanding.

Bill_K said:
It has always baffled me why anyone would care how Einstein did it 100 years ago. We've come a long way since then, and any current book on GR will convey to the reader a a simpler explanation and a better understanding.
I have always found it odd too. I understand that many will be curious about how Einstein did it, but we seem to be getting more questions about that, than about the best ways to do these things with the tools that we have at our disposal now. That's what really surprises me.

jtbell said:
Eventually I managed to figure this out. It turn out that you do use the chain rule, but you also have to use the EM conditions to derive the result.

For the sake of making the thread a potentially useful resource, I'll give the result for the first of the equations, but I'll use primed coordinates instead of greek ones, and labeling the EM field using the usual notations. Hopefully the steps are clear for anyone reading.

In Gaussian units, the first component of [itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{B} =\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t} [/itex] is explicitly
[tex]
\begin{align}
\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial t}= & \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial B_y}{\partial z}
\end{align}
[/tex]
To transform this, firstly we need the chain rule. Since the transformations in this case are
[tex]
\begin{align}
t' = & \gamma \left( t-\frac{v}{c^2}x \right) \\
x' = & \gamma \left( x-vt \right) \\
y' = & y \\
z' = & z
\end{align}
[/tex]
where [itex]\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}[/itex] is the [itex]\beta[/itex] in the original paper above. It follows using the chain rule that
[tex]
\begin{align}
\frac{\partial }{\partial t}\equiv & \gamma \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial t'} - v \frac{\partial }{\partial x'}\right) \\
\frac{\partial }{\partial x}\equiv & \gamma \left( \frac{\partial }{\partial x'} - \frac{v}{c^2} \frac{\partial }{\partial t'}\right) \\
\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\equiv & \frac{\partial }{\partial y'} \\
\frac{\partial }{\partial z}\equiv & \frac{\partial }{\partial z'}
\end{align}
[/tex]
So we can just make these substitutions in the equations.

Now, before transforming the "curl" equation above, we first need to use and transform the the free space EM condition that [itex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{E} = 0[/itex]. A representation of [itex]\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial x'}[/itex] is given using this by
[tex]
\begin{align}
&\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial E_y}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial E_z}{\partial z}=0\\
&\gamma \left( \frac{\partial E_x}{\partial x'}-\frac{v}{c^2}\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial t'} \right)+\frac{\partial E_y}{\partial y'}+\frac{\partial E_z}{\partial z'} =0 \\
\Rightarrow &\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial x'}=\frac{-1}{\gamma} \left( \frac{\partial E_y}{\partial y'}+\frac{\partial E_z}{\partial z'} \right)+\frac{v}{c^2}\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial t'}
\end{align}
[/tex]

This step gives us what we need. Now applying both the chain rules and this result to the curl equation gives
[tex]
\begin{align}
\frac{\gamma}{c} \left( \frac{\partial E_x}{\partial t'} - v \frac{\partial E_x}{\partial x'}\right)=& \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial B_y}{\partial z} \\
\frac{\gamma}{c} \left( \left( 1+\frac{v^2}{c^2} \right)\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial x'} + \frac{v}{\gamma} \left( \frac{\partial E_y}{\partial y'}+\frac{\partial E_z}{\partial z'} \right) \right)=& \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial B_y}{\partial z}
\end{align}
[/tex]
And since [itex]1- v^2/c^2=1/\gamma^2[/itex], it follows that
[tex]
\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial t'}= \gamma \frac{\partial }{\partial y'} \left[ B_z - \frac{v}{c}E_y \right] - \gamma \frac{\partial }{\partial z'} \left[ B_y + \frac{v}{c}E_z \right]
[/tex]
which is what was required. For one equation at least; I imagine the other three are fall out the same.

I don't know if there's a concise way to do this for all three equations in the curl at once, but the same applies to the both applicable Maxwell's equations in free space. This is straightforward, but long and did need more than just the mathematics to accomplish. The text didn't belie subtlety, just slogwork. Anyway, hopefully this is useful to someone in future.

One way or another might be more straightforward, but I find it's always useful to see something done in multiple ways.

Likes mhamad hantro

When transforming the first equation of the untransformed set, I think you also need to take into account Gauss's Law for the electric field (in empty space), which in Einstein's notation reads:

$$\frac {\partial X}{\partial x} + \frac {\partial Y}{\partial y} + \frac {\partial Z}{\partial z} = 0$$

Transform the derivatives similarly, and combine the result with what you get from transforming the first equation. I've done enough of the algebra to convince myself that you get the correct derivatives in the final equation, but I haven't nailed down all the constants.

For some of the equations, you probably need to use Gauss's Law for magnetism instead.

I spent half an hour composing a reply showing some of the equations explicitly. Then I lost it all when I hit a wrong key, and I'm in no mood to do it all again. :grumpy:

(Aha, you posted your reply while I was going through all that! It looks like we hit upon the same solution.)

Last edited:
I found a great article which shows the omitted steps in Einstein'
derivation of the E-M fields transformations. I am pretty sure this is
what you are/were looking for. It's what I was looking for too.

Check out the article at:
h--p://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/13/9780199694037.pdf
p41-47 (if you go by the pdf page numbers)
or p 146 to 150 (if you go by the page numbers marked on each page)

Cheers

Transforming Maxwell´s Equations in Special Relativity

Hello, I´m a new member of the Forum - glad to be here :smile:. I´m a brazilian man, so, I would like to apologize for any errors concerning the English language (grammar, spelling etc). I´m also studying the Einstein´s Relativity paper (1905) in my Masters degree course. My doubt (or question) is directed mainly to ObssessiveMathsFreak or, for anyone who can help me! Also I ask your pardon due to any mistake regarding the use of symbols, quotes, etc. The Lorentz-Einstein first transformed equation was skillfully done by ObssessiveMaths. But, it has been a long time since I study calculus. My question is: HOW you applied the "chain rule" in your LAST TWO equations in order to get the final result? When I say LAST TWO equations, I´m referring the last two BEFORE the final expression.

P.S.: I know how to apply the "chain rule" for simple derivatives, but I have forgotten the most "advanced" methods; or, may be, I´m confused.

Last edited:
Transforming Maxwell´s Equations in Special Relativity

dan_b_ said:
I found a great article which shows the omitted steps in Einstein'
derivation of the E-M fields transformations. I am pretty sure this is
what you are/were looking for. It's what I was looking for too.

Hi, dan_b_!

I have tried to access this article address, as you said. But it returned a 404 error.
Please, do you know the article name and the author? I have remote access, here in Brazil,
to some good journals when logged in (via my institution).
I understood the ObssessiveMaths deduction only partly, and have been confused:confused:
in the final steps - concernig the "chain rule" application -, at the final equations. You could read
my last message (above). Perhaps, you can help me. If you have references to the article mentioned,
I would be grateful.

Gabriel.

Last edited:
Gaba gaba, there appear to be some typos in the part you're asking about:

This step gives us what we need. Now applying both the chain rules and this result to the curl equation gives
\begin{align}
\frac{\gamma}{c} \left( \frac{\partial E_x}{\partial t'} - v \frac{\partial E_x}{\partial x'}\right)=& \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial B_y}{\partial z} \\
\frac{\gamma}{c} \left( \left( 1+\frac{v^2}{c^2} \right)\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial x'} + \frac{v}{\gamma} \left( \frac{\partial E_y}{\partial y'}+\frac{\partial E_z}{\partial z'} \right) \right)=& \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial B_y}{\partial z}
\end{align}
[tex]
\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial t'}= \gamma \frac{\partial }{\partial y'} \left[ B_z - \frac{v}{c}E_y \right] - \gamma \frac{\partial }{\partial z'} \left[ B_y + \frac{v}{c}E_z \right]
[/tex]
The first line is just the x component of the equality in this quote:

In Gaussian units, the first component of [itex]\nabla \times \mathbf{B} =\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t} [/itex] is explicitly
To get from the first line to the second, he's just using the result in this quote to rewrite the second term in the first line:

\begin{align}
\Rightarrow &\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial x'}=\frac{-1}{\gamma} \left( \frac{\partial E_y}{\partial y'}+\frac{\partial E_z}{\partial z'} \right)+\frac{v}{c^2}\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial t'}
\end{align}
The second line appears to contain two typos. I think it should be
$$\frac{\gamma}{c} \left( \left( 1-\frac{v^2}{c^2} \right)\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial t'} + \frac{v}{\gamma} \left( \frac{\partial E_y}{\partial y'}+\frac{\partial E_z}{\partial z'} \right) \right)= \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial B_y}{\partial z}$$ Then he's using the equality in this quote to rewrite the left-hand side of the first line:

And he "applies the chain rule" by using these two results to rewrite the right-hand side of the second line:

[tex]
\begin{align}
\frac{\partial }{\partial y}\equiv & \frac{\partial }{\partial y'} \\
\frac{\partial }{\partial z}\equiv & \frac{\partial }{\partial z'}
\end{align}
[/tex]
So he ends up with this:

[tex]
[/tex]
which is what was required. For one equation at least; I imagine the other three are fall out the same.

Last edited:

1. How do Maxwell's equations change in special relativity?

In special relativity, Maxwell's equations are modified to account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction. The equations also make use of the Lorentz transformations to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in reference frames that are moving relative to each other.

2. What is the significance of transforming Maxwell's equations in special relativity?

Transforming Maxwell's equations in special relativity allows us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields in different reference frames, which is essential for understanding the fundamental principles of electromagnetism and developing technologies that rely on it.

3. Are Maxwell's equations still valid in special relativity?

Yes, Maxwell's equations are still valid in special relativity. However, they need to be transformed to account for the effects of relative motion and the constancy of the speed of light in all inertial reference frames.

4. How do the transformed Maxwell's equations differ from the original equations?

The transformed Maxwell's equations differ from the original equations in that they incorporate the Lorentz transformations and introduce new concepts such as relativistic mass and length contraction. They also highlight the symmetry between electric and magnetic fields, which is not apparent in the original equations.

5. Can Maxwell's equations be used to explain the behavior of electromagnetic fields in all situations?

No, Maxwell's equations only apply to classical electromagnetism and do not take into account the principles of quantum mechanics. In certain situations, such as at the subatomic level, other theories such as quantum electrodynamics are needed to accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.