Can Books Help Me Understand the Windows Registry?

• Thread starter Tenshou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation discusses a poor man's algorithm for cleaning up a PC, which involves using an antivirus/anti-malware app and a registry cleaner. It also warns about the potential risks of using a tool like HijackThis and advises seeking help if needed.
Tenshou
I have a question I have been going through my registry and I found a few strange looking files and I am not exactly sure what I should do with them so please help D:

Computer science news on Phys.org
This is a poor man's algorithm for cleaning up a PC:

If you have a decent antivirus/anti-malware app, update the signatures, let it run a full scan. malwarebytes.org has a good free one.

Assuming your PC is now reasonably clean, check with regedit again. If you still see stuff you think should not be there run a registry cleaner. A decent one is free from piriform.com - ccleaner. Only run the registry cleaner. Windows 7 is better about not needing registry cleanup than (ugh)Vista or XP. If the file reference is still there, leave it. You can break installed apps by clobbering registry entries or deleting the file they reference. Again, assuming the app is still installed and is not malware.

If your PC is slow, and some websites do not load as expected, nasty BHO's are often the culprit. They usually are not seen as malware by anti-malware apps. At work users get the ASK toolbar (BHO) which breaks several of our required MS apps. We do a fresh OS install on bad ones. If you understand what you're doing in that area you can try a tool like HijackThis. You can also completely trash your OS install with this tool.

There is an awful lot to this - what I mentioned is a very shallow look. Don't really understand? get help.

Thanks, do you know any books which can teach me on how to work with the windows regedit, or is this done by trial and error?

What is the Windows registry?

The Windows registry is a hierarchical database that stores configuration settings and options on Microsoft Windows operating systems. It contains information about hardware, software, user preferences, and system settings.

Why is the Windows registry important?

The Windows registry is important because it is used by the operating system and applications to retrieve and store important settings and configurations. It is also used to maintain system stability and performance.

Can the Windows registry be edited?

Yes, the Windows registry can be edited using the built-in Registry Editor tool. However, it is important to exercise caution when making changes as incorrect modifications can cause system errors and instability.

What happens if the Windows registry is corrupted?

If the Windows registry becomes corrupted, it can lead to system errors and crashes. Some applications may also fail to function properly. It is recommended to regularly backup the registry and use caution when making changes to prevent corruption.

Is it safe to delete entries from the Windows registry?

It is generally not recommended to delete entries from the Windows registry unless you are an advanced user and know exactly what you are doing. Deleting the wrong entry can cause system errors and instability. It is best to consult a professional or use a trusted registry cleaner tool.