The specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol?

In summary, a physics student is looking for information on the properties of liquid isopropanol. He has found a website that has data for other pressures and temperatures, but he is missing the data for constant volume. He has asked a librarian for help, but she was not able to help him. He has also tried asking the chemistry dept at his university, but they were not able to help him. He has found a computerized database that has the data he needs, but he is not sure if the company he works for has the rights to share the database.
poul
Hey

I am a physics student, and not so familiar with chemistry. I have a huge problem, because I have to find the following 3 values for liquid isopropanol:

1. The specific heat capacity at constant volume
2. The specific heat capacity at constant pressure
3. Volumetric Isobaric Expansion Coefficient

You should think it would be easy enough, but now I have used hours on the web whitout luck. I can only find the specific heat capacity at constant pressure here: http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C67630&Mask=7#Thermo-Condensed

which gives results from 149 to 180 J/mol*K. Is there really so much uncertainty in obtaining these values? And how to find the rest of the values?

I really need help here

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you tried to ask librarians for help?

Borek said:
Have you tried to ask librarians for help?

You mean, going to the university library? Can you just do that, I mean they are not experts on chemistry?

Try them. If there is a chemistry dept at your university, for sure some of the librarians are trained to help the chemistry staff, and they will probably know of databases you have never heard of. Even if there is no chemistry dept, chances are they will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Likes 1 person
Okay, I will try to find out. I have never been at the chemistry department. So there is no easy way to find these values?

I can see that some other guys, for different liquids, have used http://www.hbcpnetbase.com/. Unfortunately it is password protected...

poul said:
Unfortunately it is password protected...

Which is another reason to try the library - your school may have access to databases behind the paywall.

Actually - it has them for sure, that's what libraries are for. Question is whether they will have access to the database with the data you need. But you won't know till you ask.

poul said:
You mean, going to the university library? Can you just do that, I mean they are not experts on chemistry?

The great thing about librarians is they've been trained to find the books and other materials which will lead you to the information you seek.

OKay. I went to the libraby, and the gave the password and link to some website. Now I have found everything ecept the heat capacity at constant volume... do somebody know where to find this constant?

Glad to hear you got some use out of the library! I wonder sometimes if those institutions will one day cease to exist. :(

We use a computerized database for fluid properties. For isopropanol it gives 0.4606 Btu/lbm-F at 70F and 14.7 psia. If you'd like other values for other pressures & temperatures, let me know.

Likes 1 person
Q_Goest said:
Glad to hear you got some use out of the library! I wonder sometimes if those institutions will one day cease to exist. :(

We use a computerized database for fluid properties. For isopropanol it gives 0.4606 Btu/lbm-F at 70F and 14.7 psia. If you'd like other values for other pressures & temperatures, let me know.

Thanks alot. I really appreciate yout help. Do you have the name of the computerized database?

I'm afraid it's a database that the company I work for created. It's very similar to REFPROP by NIST. Unfortunately, REFPROP doesn't have isopropanol. The list of fluids REFPROP has properties for is given in Appendix A of their user's guide. I don't know what else would work for you unfortunately.

1. What is the specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol?

The specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol is approximately 2.5 J/g·K. This means that it takes 2.5 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of liquid isopropanol by 1 Kelvin.

2. How is the specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol measured?

The specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol is typically measured using a calorimeter. This device measures the amount of heat absorbed or released by a substance during a chemical or physical change.

3. Why is the specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol important?

The specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol is important because it helps determine the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance. This information is useful in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in the production of fuels and in temperature control systems.

4. Does the specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol vary with temperature?

Yes, the specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol varies with temperature. As the temperature increases, the specific heat capacity also increases. This is because higher temperatures cause the molecules in the liquid to vibrate more, requiring more energy to raise the temperature.

5. How does the specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol compare to other liquids?

The specific heat capacity at constant volume for liquid isopropanol is higher than many other liquids, such as water and ethanol. This means that it takes more energy to raise the temperature of liquid isopropanol compared to these other liquids. However, it has a lower specific heat capacity than some other substances, such as liquid mercury and liquid hydrogen.