Even aging can't be so easily cured

• Thread starter FreeWill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    aging even
In summary, somebody emailed me that they were going to start a cryonics facility in Australia and I started talking to them because I wanted to be frozen after I died. I have been studying human senescence since the year 2000 and I have never heard of a theory explicitly stating that the human brain controls aging rate. If the brain is kept biologically young and healthy, it shouldn't be doing anything to promote harmful inflammation. Other aging processes include protein glycation and mitochondrial decay. If you are planning on having your battery of servants wake you up again sometime, you might have to be frozen before you are dead. groups.google.com/groups?q=wakfer+frozen+before+dead+prevent
FreeWill
I just read that

"Even aging can't be so easily cured by replacing someone's
whole body: our brain seems to contain the circuits causing us
to age, and you'd just see the replacement aging very rapidly.
(The circuits aren't just electrical but chemical too. And this
experiment has even, in a sense, been tried, with just the
result I describe here, on animals."

If you connected somebody's (older) brain up to another (younger) brain, (physically) and put the two brains together in a new body, does that mean that the new body would age really quickly?

Biology news on Phys.org
Please post a link or some other clue as to where you read that.

Last edited:
Somebody emailed it to me

Somebody was going to start a Cryonics facility in Australia and I started talking to them because I wanted to be frozen after I died

anyways, my sister and I both have an account on this...is there a way to delete one so we don't log in as each other...thanks

Last edited:
Still waiting for a reason to wake the cryopreserved

dreamingofouterspace said:
Somebody emailed it to me
I have been studying human senescence since the year 2000, and I have never heard of a theory explicitly stating that the human brain controls aging rate. One of the things that goes wrong with the body as it ages is excessive inflammation. The central nervous system (brain) can affect inflammation, but it seems to do this in ways that are harmful only when there is something wrong with it (like after a head injury -- car accident victims often suffer from painful and maladaptive inflammatory conditions). If the brain is kept biologically young and healthy, it shouldn't be doing anything to promote harmful inflammation.

Other aging processes include protein glycation and mitochondrial decay. The brain seems to me to have no way of directly influencing these things.

I wanted to be frozen after I died
If you are planning on having your battery of servants wake you up again sometime, you might have to be frozen before you are dead.
groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=wakfer+frozen+before+dead+prevent

--
adman32003 wrote:
> where can i sign up to get my body frozen when I am dead?

Hopefully, nowhere! Because if you are truly dead then nothing can be
done to restore life to your corpse (which is just so much meat).

The whole point of cryonics is intervention in the dying *process*,
before it is complete. Its purpose is thus to *prevent* death. In this
manner it is no different than any other extreme medical procedure.
Cryonics should never be viewed as an alternative form of disposition of
a dead body. Until cryonicists terminate this way of internal thinking,
and external publicity, the movement will not begin to be associated by
the general public with the ideas of greatly extended lifetimes - ideas
which are currently starting to be well accepted by the media.

--Paul Wakfer
--

Last edited:
This is a little off topic but why do living organisms 'age'? How come evolution hasn't bred it out? Is it just something that's totally unavoidable or is it necessary to the survival of a species? I heard (from a slightly unreliable source!) that there's a particular breed of turtle that doesn't age (sorry, I can't remember the name of the breed,) has anyone heard of anything like this or was it a big lie?

Hypothetical single-generation species

icvotria said:
How come evolution
Do you mean natural selection?

hasn't bred it out?
If natural selection is understood to work by selecting between generations, the question would seem to imply its own answer.

I heard [...] that there's a particular breed of turtle that doesn't age
There is a breed of tortoise with an exceptionally long lifespan.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="longest+lived+animal"

--
Longest-Lived Animal: Giant tortoise (Testudo
elephantopus). Its life span is up to 177 years.
--

Hmmm, sort of seems like a silly question now in the cold light of day! I've never studied natural selection ( :wink: ) so I only have a very basic understanding of it, but it all seems to work very logically so maybe I should've thought a little harder about that one before posting!

There have been experiments on animals mitochondria, which by altering it can make a mouse have symptoms of aging. Such as they can alter the DNA in the mitochondria to make a 3 week old mouse have the body of a 8 year old mouse, really this is all possible because the mitochondria has a different DNA strand than oters cells of the body and it controls the metabolism.

Now if we can harness this we can possibly slow down aging and or speed it up either way you think of it.

Successful anti-senescence experiments in mice involving mitochodrial antioxidants

James Nease said:
There have been experiments on animals mitochondria, which by altering it can make a mouse have symptoms of aging.
There have also been experiments involving prevention and reversal of mitochondrial senescence in mice. The experiments were successful, which is why life-extensions today supplement with mitochondrial antioxidants and spin traps.

1. Can aging really be cured?

Currently, there is no known cure for aging. While medical advancements have helped to slow down the aging process, there is no way to completely stop or reverse it.

2. What causes aging?

The aging process is complex and involves a combination of genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors. As we age, our cells and tissues gradually deteriorate, leading to various physical and mental changes.

3. Are there any treatments that can slow down aging?

There are various treatments and lifestyle changes that can help slow down the aging process, such as a healthy diet, regular exercise, avoiding harmful substances like tobacco, and managing stress. Additionally, certain medications and supplements may also help to slow down the effects of aging.

4. Is there a maximum lifespan for humans?

While the average lifespan for humans is around 80 years, there is no scientifically proven maximum lifespan. Some scientists believe that with advancements in medicine and technology, it may be possible to extend human lifespan in the future.

5. Are there any risks associated with trying to cure aging?

As with any medical treatment, there are potential risks and side effects associated with trying to cure aging. Furthermore, since aging is a natural and complex process, there is a possibility that attempting to cure it could have unintended consequences on other aspects of human health.