Weird Scientists: Who Are They?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary: The student was a dummy with a head that would nod or shake depending on what the teacher said. The teacher would talk to the dummy and the dummy's head would nod or shake. It was really creepy! In summary, the teacher was talking to a dummy's head.
heman
Hi Guys,

Last year i remember our instructor while teaching Complex Analysis course gave weird us an weird example!
She came up with this because that day most of students bunked that class and she claimed that Bunking class is not an offence,if the person is capable!

She told us about an Mathematician who used to study and think in his bed lying down and slumbering.He received all his initial education in similar way.
Mathematician did some great work at that time.Princess recognized the talent of the Mathematican and the mathematician was asked to teach her Geometry during daytime,even though he could not think anywhere except his bed,he could not deny to the princess!

After few days he died!

I don't remember the name of this Mathematician,Can you guys recognize him!
Also who are the other scientist or thinkers who reflected such weird ways or abnormal behaviour!

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't quite what you're looking for, but around Halloween time last year one of the cable channels did a series on the origins of horror stories.

Apparently there actually was a kind of demented scientist or doctor who, like Frankenstein, spent a lot of time trying to re-animate corpses in a castle in Germany, somewhere. Unsuccessfully.

Most people know that Dracula is loosely derived from Vlad Dracul (Vlad of the order of the Dragon), the Impaler, but this was the very first time I'd ever heard there was a real life analogy to Dr. Frankenstein. The mention wasn't extensive and now I don't recall the guys name or dates.

zoobyshoe said:
This isn't quite what you're looking for,

Then What i am looking for ZoobyShoe?

zoobyshoe said:
This isn't quite what you're looking for, but around Halloween time last year one of the cable channels did a series on the origins of horror stories.

Apparently there actually was a kind of demented scientist or doctor who, like Frankenstein, spent a lot of time trying to re-animate corpses in a castle in Germany, somewhere. Unsuccessfully.

Most people know that Dracula is loosely derived from Vlad Dracul (Vlad of the order of the Dragon), the Impaler, but this was the very first time I'd ever heard there was a real life analogy to Dr. Frankenstein. The mention wasn't extensive and now I don't recall the guys name or dates.

West. Herbert West. Does this place have a basement?

heman said:
Then What i am looking for ZoobyShoe?
Guys who were weird, but who could actually do real science or math.

Diencephalon said:
West. Herbert West. Does this place have a basement?
Von Schleppenstinger or something. Worked on the second floor.

heman said:
Hi Guys,

Last year i remember our instructor while teaching Complex Analysis course gave weird us an weird example!
She came up with this because that day most of students bunked that class and she claimed that Bunking class is not an offence,if the person is capable!

She told us about an Mathematician who used to study and think in his bed lying down and slumbering.He received all his initial education in similar way.
Mathematician did some great work at that time.Princess recognized the talent of the Mathematican and the mathematician was asked to teach her Geometry during daytime,even though he could not think anywhere except his bed,he could not deny to the princess!

After few days he died!

I don't remember the name of this Mathematician,Can you guys recognize him!
Also who are the other scientist or thinkers who reflected such weird ways or abnormal behaviour!
You're talking about Rene DesCartes. He used to sleep until 11:00 every day (I think he had a note either from his doctor or from Epstein's mother). He developed Cartesian coordinates while lying in bed and watching a fly.

It wasn't a princess, but the Queen Christina of Sweden. She was a morning person. She wanted to study trigonometry at 5 in the morning. The combination of the colder Scandinavian air and having to get up so early caused him to die within a few months (not a few days).

Here's DesCarte's short bio: http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Descartes.html

BobG said:
You're talking about Rene DesCartes. He used to sleep until 11:00 every day (I think he had a note either from his doctor or from Epstein's mother). He developed Cartesian coordinates while lying in bed and watching a fly.

It wasn't a princess, but the Queen Christina of Sweden. She was a morning person. She wanted to study trigonometry at 5 in the morning. The combination of the colder Scandinavian air and having to get up so early caused him to die within a few months (not a few days).

Here's DesCarte's short bio: http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Descartes.html

BoB!
You rock!
yeah your details are correct and more refined,i forgot most of details !
My teacher visited his house!

heman said:
BoB!
You rock!
yeah your details are correct and more refined,i forgot most of details !
My teacher visited his house!
No, Queen Christina rocks! A chick that wants to study trigonometry at 5 o'clock in the morning

They even made a movie on her, staring Greta Garbo.

Quotes on Queen Christina:

She isn't tall, but has a well-filled figure and a large behind, beautiful arms, white hands. One shoulder is higher than another, but she hides this defect so well by her bizarre dress, walk and movements... The shape of her face is fair but framed by the most extraordinary coiffure. It's a man's wig, very heavy and piled high in front, hanging thick at the sides, and at the back there is some slight resemblance to a woman's coiffure... She is always very heavily powdered over a lot of face cream.

She wears men's shoes and her voice and nearly all her actions are masculine. She loves to show off her mastery of horses, and she glories in it...
- Duc de Guise

A woman born of a barbarian, barbarously brought up and living with barbarous thoughts... with ferocious and almost intolerable pride. - Pope Alexander VII

I love the storm and fear the calm. I shall never be virtuous enough to be a saint, nor infamous enough to pretend to be one. - Christina

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
Guys who were weird, but who could actually do real science or math.

Exactly! :smile:
I am looking for those who have really done some first class work(that's prerequisite) and then i am taking weirdness into account.

I guess Descartes wasn't the only one!

Heman,

Great story. Thank you.

Conspiracy Theorist says:

Is it possible that the queen was using the mathemetician for his biological geometry early in the morning while the king was still in bed sleeping?

Is it possible that this mysterious death occurred one day when the king got suspicious after a month of his queen acting a little different?

Is it possible that this scenerio was covered up (reframed) to save grace and dignity for all involved?

nontheless, great story...

heman said:
I am looking for those who have really done some first class work(that's prerequisite) and then i am taking weirdness into account.
There's actually a book about the weirder of the weird scientists. If you go to Amazon and search "weird scientists" it might just come up.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name of the book or it's author. I think there's a chapter devoted to Paul Erdos in it.

You can't forget about Srinivasa Ramanujan. He would dream about math, and many of his theorems appeared to him in his dreams. When he was a child, he was such a picky eater that if he couldn't get the vegetables he wanted, he'd go outside and roll in the mud. He was pretty bad at every other subject but math. He's famous for his continued fraction work, modular functions and other things (some of which made LQG and ST possible). He'd come up with three to seven new theorems a day, and most of them were correct, and some haven't been proven yet. most of them took many years to prove. Some would say he was the greatest mathematician to ever live... Even putting him above Euler, Reimann, Gauss... that's tough to top.

Last edited:
outsider said:
Heman,

Great story. Thank you.

Conspiracy Theorist says:

Is it possible that the queen was using the mathemetician for his biological geometry early in the morning while the king was still in bed sleeping?

Is it possible that this mysterious death occurred one day when the king got suspicious after a month of his queen acting a little different?

Is it possible that this scenerio was covered up (reframed) to save grace and dignity for all involved?

nontheless, great story...
There was no king. Christina never married. She didn't take many efforts to cover things up either. After abdicating her throne as Queen of Sweden, she decided to take Naples from Spain. During a visit to France to secure help, she brutally slaughtered one of her aides in the palace. That didn't exactly have the effect she hoped. Instead of being intimidated, everyone was shocked - the Pope even evicted her from her apartment in Vatican City.

1. Who are weird scientists?

Weird scientists are individuals who are unconventional, eccentric, or peculiar in their approach to scientific research and discovery. They may have unique ideas, perspectives, or methods that set them apart from traditional scientists.

2. What are some examples of weird scientists?

Some examples of weird scientists include Nikola Tesla, who was known for his strange habits and outlandish ideas; Rosalind Franklin, who was often considered an outsider in the male-dominated field of science; and Richard Feynman, who was known for his quirky personality and unconventional teaching methods.

3. Are weird scientists successful?

While success is subjective, many weird scientists have made significant contributions to their respective fields. Their unconventional approaches often lead to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in science.

4. What are the benefits of having weird scientists?

Weird scientists bring diversity and innovation to the scientific community. Their unique perspectives and approaches can lead to new ideas and breakthroughs that traditional scientists may not have thought of.

5. How can I become a weird scientist?

There is no set path to becoming a weird scientist. It often involves thinking outside the box, being open-minded, and not being afraid to challenge traditional ideas. Pursuing a career in a field that aligns with your interests and passions can also lead to a more unconventional approach to science.