Radiant barrier - surface geometry

In summary, The speaker is asking if the efficiency of radiant barrier can be improved with different surface geometries, such as wavy, triangular, or pyramid shapes. They mention the triangular shape of electric heaters produced in the USSR and wonder if there is any significance to the 112 degree angle of the bends. They also ask if there is research to support the idea that a flat surface is best for radiant heaters, as they are trying to focus radiation.
karlis
Hello, first post, don't know if I got the section right tough..

Basically I was wondering, if the efficiency of radiant barrier (for home insulation or industrial, high T) could be improved with different surface geometry eg wavy, triangular, pyramids?

Why I'm wondering - the reflective surface of electric heaters produced in USSR had a traingular surface shape and the bends was 112 degrees. Always.

Is there something valuable to learn from this or was it just a design feature? Does the 112 angle provide better overall reflection or..?

Sorry, EN isn't my 1st languague..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Radiant heaters try to focus the radiation, which is completely different from what a radiant barrier is doing. Flat is best for that.

Are there any research to support that or is it just common sense or something else?

What is a radiant barrier?

A radiant barrier is a type of reflective material that is designed to reduce the transfer of radiant heat. It is often used in homes and buildings to improve energy efficiency and reduce heating and cooling costs.

How does a radiant barrier work?

A radiant barrier works by reflecting radiant heat, which is the heat that travels in waves from a hot surface. The barrier is typically made of a highly reflective material, such as aluminum foil, which reflects the heat back to its source, rather than allowing it to pass through.

What is the importance of surface geometry in a radiant barrier?

The surface geometry of a radiant barrier is important because it affects the way the barrier reflects heat. The geometry, or shape, of the surface can impact the angle at which the heat is reflected, and therefore, the overall effectiveness of the barrier in reducing heat transfer.

What types of surface geometries are commonly used in radiant barriers?

There are several common surface geometries used in radiant barriers, including flat, corrugated, and perforated surfaces. Each of these geometries has its own unique properties and can be used for specific applications.

Are there any other factors besides surface geometry that can impact the performance of a radiant barrier?

Yes, there are several other factors that can impact the performance of a radiant barrier, including the type of material used, the thickness of the barrier, and the installation method. It is important to consider all of these factors when choosing a radiant barrier for a specific application.