Register to reply

Why is it not possible to see the interference pattern of white light

by 5ymmetrica1
Tags: interference, light, pattern, white
Share this thread:
5ymmetrica1
Aug22-13, 06:44 AM
P: 88
'The colour seen when white light is used as a source for a Young’s double slit experiment are sometimes mistaken for the spectrum of visible light.'
Why is this not possible with a two slit interference pattern?

I know that the different wavelengths will all cause interference with each other, but is there a better explanation than this?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Watching the structure of glass under pressure
New imaging technique shows how cocaine shuts down blood flow in mouse brains
ZapperZ
Aug22-13, 06:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Quote Quote by 5ymmetrica1 View Post
'The colour seen when white light is used as a source for a Young’s double slit experiment are sometimes mistaken for the spectrum of visible light.'

I know that the different wavelengths will all cause interference with each other, but is there a better explanation than this?
Because there are so many different wavelengths in white light that the interference pattern from each wavelength overlaps each other and washes out.

Zz.
technician
Aug22-13, 08:21 AM
P: 1,506
Deleted following insulting reply.

ZapperZ
Aug22-13, 08:38 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Why is it not possible to see the interference pattern of white light

Quote Quote by technician View Post
It is correct that white light consists of arrange of colours (wavelengths) but it is perfectly straightforward to produce 2slit interference pattern the fringes obtained are essentially white but 'blue' can be seen at the 'inner' edge of the fringes and 'red' can be seen at the outer edge. This is a standard demonstration at A level and details are given in A level text books.
That's sad, considering how easy and cheap it is nowadays to obtain a laser pointer with a good-enough monochromatic light source.

Zz.
technician
Aug22-13, 08:48 AM
P: 1,506
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
That's sad, considering how easy and cheap it is nowadays to obtain a laser pointer with a good-enough monochromatic light source.

Zz.
This is an insulting comment.. I have reported it and I have deleted my response.
ZapperZ
Aug22-13, 09:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by technician View Post
This is an insulting comment.. I have reported it and I have deleted my response.
Not sure what is "insulting" about that. You obviously read WAY differently than what I wrote.

The "sad" comment was directed at the situation, i.e. that one had to use a white light to demonstrate interference effects, rather than obtaining a simple, cheap, monochromatic light source. You appear to interpret it as being directed at your comment.

Zz.
Emilyjoint
Aug22-13, 01:40 PM
P: 210
Quote Quote by 5ymmetrica1 View Post

It is possible to see the pattern for white light with 2 slits....we did it at school using car head lamp bulbs.

Register to reply