Fossil from the lower Jurasic, Holzmaden, Germany

• Thread starter DrDu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Germany
In summary: Thank you for including that picture. In summary, Dave found some fossils similar to ginko leaves from the lower Jurassic in Holzmaden, Germany. He is not sure what they are, but thinks they may be from the lower Jurasic. He also found some crinoids which he believes are not plant-like. One of the pictures he included is of a brachiopod that he believes is a fossilized plant.
DrDu
Science Advisor
Recently, I collected fossils from the famous posidonia shells from the lower Jurasic (Toarcium or Lias epsilon) in Holzmaden in the south west of Germany near Stuttgart. Besides numerous Ammonites I found some of the following fossils which I don't quite know what it is. Any ideas?
They are quite thick "leaves" which seem to be connected to some thicker more or less spherical stem(now completely pyritized in the upper part of the picture) altough I did not prepare them, so the anatomy is just a guess. The size is about 3 cm.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Fossil.JPG
    Fossil.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 621
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
They remind me of ginko, but I'm not sure if they lived where you found this, but they do date back to the lower Jurasic.

looks like the typical brachiopod of that era
I have collected a good few out of the Jurassic strata on the SE coast of the South Island of New Zealand, part of the Southland Syncline

cheers
Dave
attachment.php?attachmentid=68197&stc=1&d=1396316119.jpg

Attachments

• images406Y16YD.jpg
    images406Y16YD.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 609
Thank you for your replies!
I don't think it is gingko, although gingko leaves have been found at that site, because it is a marine environment and leaves of land plants are rare.
I was considering also brachiopods, but they are a little bit too irregular and this does also not explain the stem.
Now that I was looking for brachiopods, I found some pictures of crinoids from Holzmaden which seem to be quite similar:
http://www.erftalnews.de/Bilder/Sammlung/Seelilien/Holzmaden_Seelilie_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that link won't open, can you post a pic here please

not sure what the "stem" is that you are seeing ?

of course there's no reason why you wouldn't have a crinoid and a brachiopod in close proximity :smile:

I would be VERY suprised if that main object in the centre isn't a brachiopod

they come in all sorts of variations and ones from that far back in time are often have quite distorted shapes due to the pressures of burial

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
that link won't open, can you post a pic here please

Strange, maybe you can surf to
http://www.erftalnews.de
Then click on "Sammlung"->"Seelilien"

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
It looks to me like a type of foraminiferan known as a nummulite. I've found plenty of these myself in Miocene limestone. I don't think they've been found in Cretaceous rock though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nummulite

According to the german wikipedia, nummulites are first found in the upper Cretaceous rocks. But my fossils are definitively from the lower Jurassic.

It really doesn't look exactly like anything I've seen, but it's difficult from only a picture, but you seem to know your fossils and you're stumped. If you have a local university, perhaps someone in the paleontology department could identify it.

According to the german wikipedia, nummulites are first found in the upper Cretaceous rocks. But my fossils are definitively from the lower Jurassic.

The problem is that I haven't got any books on fossils, but it seems I have to change this.
Holzmaden is one of the most famous sites in Germany for fossils and I am quite sure that this relic, which seems to be relatively abundant, is described somewhere.

I think I got it: It isn't a fossil at all but a pyrite sun, i.e. a pyrite formation of inorganic origin.
See e.g.
http://www.holzmadenfossilien.de/inhalte%20fossilien/Pyritsonne%20003.html

DrDu said:
I think I got it: It isn't a fossil at all but a pyrite sun, i.e. a pyrite formation of inorganic origin.
See e.g.
http://www.holzmadenfossilien.de/inhalte%20fossilien/Pyritsonne%20003.html
Wow, it does look like a fossilized plant.

As a reward for your help I upload here a picture of a real fossil found there. I exaggerated the contrast somewhat, but this more how it looked when it was fresh and wet.

Attachments

• Ammonit2.jpg
    Ammonit2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 515
DrDu said:
As a reward for your help I upload here a picture of a real fossil found there. I exaggerated the contrast somewhat, but this more how it looked when it was fresh and wet.
Very nice!

1. What is a fossil?

A fossil is the preserved remains of a once-living organism or evidence of their activity, such as footprints or burrows. Fossils provide important clues about the Earth's history and the evolution of different species.

2. Where is the Holzmaden fossil site located?

The Holzmaden fossil site is located in the town of Holzmaden in the state of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is situated in the Swabian Jura region, which is known for its rich fossil deposits from the lower Jurassic period.

3. What types of fossils can be found in Holzmaden?

The Holzmaden fossil site is known for its well-preserved marine fossils, particularly of marine reptiles such as ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs. Other fossils that can be found include fish, ammonites, and crustaceans.

4. How old is the fossil from the lower Jurassic in Holzmaden?

The lower Jurassic period lasted from approximately 201.3 million to 174.1 million years ago. Therefore, the fossil from the lower Jurassic in Holzmaden is approximately 174.1 million years old.

5. What can we learn from the fossil from the lower Jurassic in Holzmaden?

The Holzmaden fossils provide valuable information about the ancient marine ecosystem and the evolution of marine reptiles. They also give insight into the geological history of the Earth and how different species have adapted over time.