Ways to make a computer faster (windows)

In summary: It sounds like your computer is running out of space, and can't format the disk C: because it has too many important files on it. You might be able to fix the problem by deleting some of the files on the disk C:.
misogynisticfeminist
I've tried defragmenting my drives and stuff like that, but my computer doesn't seem to get much faster. Any other tips?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can do the standard AdAware and Spybot stuff, which can remove programs that are slowing down your comp, but in the end your machine has its limits.

What are the specs of your computer?

In cases like these , I generally buy a new one.

BJ

Turn off background programs (quickstarts etc.), turn off AV and just do scheduled scans, set limits on virtual memory 2.5x system RAM and defrag again to place the memory block in one location, reduce size of desktop image (use a standard windows image, a repeated small image, or better still none.)

If you are not at your system limit, more RAM, or a faster CPU, can often speed up an aging computer for a while.

Doing some registry cleaning from time to time doesn't (typically :biggrin: ) hurt.

Yes, but be carefull when doing that. That can reall f..., uh I mean mess up your computer.

misogynisticfeminist said:
I've tried defragmenting my drives and stuff like that, but my computer doesn't seem to get much faster. Any other tips?

Ever heard of "Salty's Law"? Goes something like:

No matter what computer you have and what you do to make it faster, or even if you buy a much faster one, within a period of about 2 weeks, you'll quickly ramp-up the load on it so that in practical terms, it's going about the same speed it was going before you make the changes. :smile:

Let me qualify this before I get jumped on: You run more CPU intensive apps, and thus are still staring at the monitor the same amount of time waiting for it to finish is what I mean.

Last edited:
PerennialII said:
Doing some registry cleaning from time to time doesn't (typically :biggrin: ) hurt.
I find this the most useful advice !
:smile:

If your system keeps giving virtual memory problems then upgrade the size of your RAM modules as opposed to increasing virtual memory. I had the problem and when I upgraded my RAM my computer seems faster all of a sudden. The way I see it, is that you should always have 200mb of free RAM space when running 3 or 4 apps.

I am dying to know if Salty's Law would apply to multicore processors.

saltydog said:
Ever heard of "Salty's Law"? Goes something like:

No matter what computer you have and what you do to make it faster, or even if you buy a much faster one, within a period of about 2 weeks, you'll quickly ramp-up the load on it so that in practical terms, it's going about the same speed it was going before you make the changes. :smile:

Let me qualify this before I get jumped on: You run more CPU intensive apps, and thus are still staring at the monitor the same amount of time waiting for it to finish is what I mean.

Very true ... 2nd : d ... and extremely annoying :biggrin: ... the only way over this is to carry some server - class hardware running (*)*nix as a 'laptop' (does depend quite a bit on what you do with your machine but have this problem consistently).

Back your files up and format...?

misogynisticfeminist said:

Disable themes. Add more memory.

but my disk C: cannot format ??
why lik tis ??
n the disk D: is too many important things
if i format
i have to speend my whole life to redo all the things tat i delete!
my MSN cannot work at all ?
i guess somebodyelse haiz into my computer n
untill my computer's program all broken !
do anyone noe how to solve
pls teaches me !
thak you !

What are the common ways to make a computer faster on Windows?

1. Clearing up disk space: One of the most effective ways to make your computer faster is to free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files and programs.

2. Defragmenting the hard drive: Over time, files on your computer can become fragmented which can slow down its performance. Defragmenting the hard drive can help organize these files and improve overall speed.

3. Disabling unnecessary startup programs: Many programs automatically start when you turn on your computer, which can slow down its booting process. Disabling unnecessary startup programs can help speed up this process.

4. Running a virus scan: Malware and viruses can significantly slow down a computer. Running a virus scan regularly can help identify and remove any malicious programs that may be affecting your computer's speed.

5. Adding more RAM: If your computer is running slow due to lack of memory, adding more RAM can help improve its speed. However, this may not be a viable option for all computers and may require professional assistance.