Physical significance behind [H, rho]=0

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Maximum Entropy Principle in deriving the non-equilibrium steady-state statistical density operator in quantum transport. The constraint [H, rh] = 0 is used to ensure that the closed quantum system is in steady-state. This constraint leads to the conservation of the density operator. The conversation also touches upon using the MaxEnt Principle to constrain the average current in a molecular or mesoscopic device, and the difficulty of arriving at a zero induced potential drop. One perspective added is that the density operator is invariant to time evolution, hence conservation. The conversation ends with a question about whether this time evolution is in the Heinsenberg picture.
amrahmadain
In using the Maximum Entropy Principle to derive the non-equilibrium steady-state statistical density operator in quantum transport, I've seen the following constraint used to let the closed quantum system be in steady-state: [H, rh] = 0

I still don't understand the physical significance behind this constraint. Can anybody shed some light on it?

Thanks,
Amr

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, given that the time derivative of the density operator is given by
i ihbar drho/dt =[H,rho]

and the stationarity condition drho/dt = 0, your equation follows...

It means it's conserved.

Last edited:
vanesch said:
Well, given that the time derivative of the density operator is given by
i ihbar drho/dt =[H,rho]

and the stationarity condition drho/dt = 0, your equation follows...
Thanks a million. One more quick question, please. In constraining the average current in a molecular (or mesoscopic) device, again using the MaxEnt Principle, what possibly could have gone wrong to arrive at a zero induced potential drop? I've some educated guesses but I very much like to listen to what you think could have been possibly missed.

I've banging my head against the wall for sometime now :-)

Thanks,
Amr

I know this has been answered pretty much, I just wanted to add something.

If you unitarilly time evolve your density operator [itex]\rho[/itex], you have

[tex]\rho (t_0+t)=e^{-iHt}\rho (t_0)e^{iHt}=\rho (t_0)e^{-iHt}e^{iHt}=\rho (t_0)[/tex]

The second equality following from the commutativity of your density operator and H. I.e. the density operator is invariant to time evolution, hence conservation. Just thought I'd add another perspective, though it is equivalent to what Vanesch said.

Sorry I can't help with your other problem though.

Last edited:
Perturbation said:
I know this has been answered pretty much, I just wanted to add something.

If you unitarilly time evolve your density operator [itex]\rho[/itex], you have

[tex]\rho (t_0+t)=e^{-iHt}\rho (t_0)e^{iHt}=\rho (t_0)e^{-iHt}e^{iHt}=\rho (t_0)[/tex]

The second equality following from the commutativity of your density operator and H. I.e. the density operator is invariant to time evolution, hence conservation. Just thought I'd add another perspective, though it is equivalent to what Vanesch said.

Sorry I can't help with your other problem though.
Thanks Perturbation. Just double checking, this is time evolving the density operator in the Heinsenberg picture, right?

1. What does [H, rho]=0 mean in physics?

The notation [H, rho]=0 refers to the commutator between the Hamiltonian operator (H) and the density operator (rho). This means that the two operators commute, or in other words, their order of operation does not affect the final result.

2. Why is the commutator [H, rho]=0 important in quantum mechanics?

The commutator [H, rho]=0 is important because it represents the fundamental principle of quantum mechanics known as the uncertainty principle. This principle states that certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be known simultaneously with absolute precision. The commutator being equal to zero signifies that these two operators have a common set of eigenstates, which is a crucial concept in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the commutator [H, rho]=0 related to the conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics, and it is closely related to the commutator [H, rho]=0. This is because the Hamiltonian operator represents the total energy of a system, while the density operator represents the probability distribution of the system's states. The commutator being equal to zero indicates that the energy of the system is conserved, as the order of operations does not affect the final result.

4. Can the commutator [H, rho]=0 be used to solve quantum mechanical problems?

Yes, the commutator [H, rho]=0 is an essential mathematical tool in quantum mechanics and is commonly used to solve problems related to the time evolution of quantum systems. It allows for the determination of important physical properties such as the energy spectrum of a system.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the commutator [H, rho]=0?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the commutator [H, rho]=0 in various fields of physics, including atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum computing. It is also used in engineering applications such as designing quantum devices and understanding the behavior of materials at the nanoscale.