Black holes and atomic particles

In summary, the conversation covers various aspects of black holes, such as whether protons or neutrons can be compressed, why individual neutrons do not behave like mini-black holes, the behavior of electrons in a black hole, the relationship between matter and energy in terms of gravity and the strong force, and the limits of spin and centrifugal force within a black hole. The conversation also touches on the idea of energy producing gravity and the potential for a black hole to self-destruct. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for an expert in the discussion of black holes and suggests that the topic should be discussed in the "Special and general relativity" section.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
Can a proton or netron be compressed?

Why don't individual neutrons behave like mini-black holes?

What about the nucleus of an moderate weight atom; how much empty space is there in the nucleus of an atom?

A lot of articles refer to the gravitational pull within a black hole, but what about the strong force acting on the protons and neutrons within a black hole?

What happens to the electrons in a black hole?

Does matter converted into energy produce the same amount of gravity?

Does matter converted into energy produce the same amount of strong force? If not, and the strong force is a key factor in keeping a black hole intact, will the conversion to energy cause the black hole to dissapate?

Is there a limit as to how fast the matter within a black hole can spin? Is there a limit as to how much centrifugal reaction force is generated by this spin? Could a black hole explode if the spin produced near light speeds with very a small radius of the matter within it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff Reid said:
Can a proton or netron be compressed?

Why don't individual neutrons behave like mini-black holes?
Just because you can't squeeze it doesn't make it a black hole. And you can squeeze a proton or neutron.

Well they get sucked in!

I don't remember the last time any sort of "energy" creates gravity. Energy is a sort of a bookkeeping device. But I did hear about geons one time, something in which photons are held together by the gravitational field of their own field energy... maybe somebody can elaborate on that.

Is ethere a limit as to how fast the matter within a black hole can spin?
Is there a limit to as how fast an apple can spin? Why can't a massive object achieve c?

Is there a limit as to how much centrifugal reaction force is generated by this spin? Could a black hole explode if the spin produced near light speeds with very a small radius of the matter within it?
Yes! (same reason as above) The limit is under the gravitational strength of the black hole I think.

Last edited:
A proton and electron can be compressed to form a neutron. (At least I think, I won't be supprised if I'm wrong).

Gravity comes along with mass, since energy doesn't have mass it doesn't have gravity.

I'll rephrase:

Jeff Reid said:
If they collide with protons, do they form netrons, or is the impact energy great enough that a nucler reaction and conversion of matter into energy occur?

strong force
No response on this one. Wouldn't the strong force hold the netrons and protons in a black hole with even more force than gravity. Does the strong force affect light?

If it doesn't and assuming there's an appreciable amount of conversion of matter within a black hole, does the black hole self destruct?

I have no idea, and I'm thinking these four posts are a mess looking back at them today. We need an expert in here.

This thread should be in the "Special and general relativity" section.

Jeff Reid said:

Yes. Since mass is just a form of energy, energy morphs the geometry of spacetime just as mass does.

The gravitational field of a black hole gets stronger whenever energy/mass is caught inside its event horizon.

kvantti said:
energy morphs the geometry of spacetime just as mass does.
So does every electromagnetic field have its own gravitational field?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. This is caused by a large amount of mass being compressed into a small space.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity. This collapse causes the star's mass to be concentrated in a small volume, creating a black hole.

3. What happens to objects that fall into a black hole?

Objects that fall into a black hole are pulled towards the center by its strong gravitational force. As they get closer to the center, they experience extreme tidal forces and are ultimately stretched and torn apart.

4. What are atomic particles?

Atomic particles are the building blocks of matter. They make up atoms, which in turn make up all the elements in the periodic table. These particles include protons, neutrons, and electrons.

5. How are atomic particles related to black holes?

Black holes can emit particles known as Hawking radiation, which are created by the intense gravitational forces near the event horizon. These particles, including atomic particles, are thought to be created by the splitting of virtual particles near the black hole's boundary.