Force of Object on Inclined Place

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help for a final exam question that involves finding the acceleration of a crate on an inclined plane. The student is struggling with finding the correct answer and believes they may be making a mistake in calculating the force of gravity. The correct answer for the acceleration is 3.67 m/s^2 in the absence of friction and 0.95 m/s^2 if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.0.
paigegail
I need extra help. I'm studying for my Final Exam which is tomorrow and I cannot remember how to find forces of objects on an inclined plane. The question I'm having troubles with is:
A 12.5 kg crate is placed on a ramp that is at an angle of 22 degrees from the horizontal. Find the acceleration of the crate would be down the ramp:
a) in the absence of friction (answer 3.67 m/s-squared down slope)
b) if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.0 (0.95 m/s-squared down slope)
I have tried this and I know that I need to find the force of Gravity that is parallel to the direction the box is going. But I keep getting like 347 and then an answer of like 20.0 something m/s-squared. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be doing this:
122.5sin22 = 45.9N or 45.9kg m/s^2

Fnet = ma
a = Fnet/m
a = (45.9kg m/s^2)/(12.5kg)
a = 3.67 m/s^2

Finding the forces on an inclined plane can be a tricky concept, especially when there are different scenarios involved such as the presence or absence of friction. Here are some steps that may help you in solving this problem:

1. Draw a free body diagram: This will help you visualize all the forces acting on the crate. Draw a horizontal line to represent the surface of the inclined plane and then draw a line representing the crate, with its weight acting downwards and the normal force acting perpendicular to the surface.

2. Break down the weight force: The weight of the crate can be broken down into two components - one parallel to the surface of the incline and one perpendicular to it. The component parallel to the surface is the force that will cause the crate to accelerate down the ramp.

3. Apply Newton's Second Law: The net force acting on the crate will be equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force will be the component of the weight force parallel to the surface of the incline.

4. Calculate the acceleration: Use the formula F=ma to calculate the acceleration of the crate. Remember to use the component of the weight force parallel to the surface of the incline as the force.

5. Consider the presence of friction: If friction is present, you will need to subtract the force of friction from the net force. The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force.

6. Solve for the acceleration: Once you have all the necessary components, plug them into the formula from step 4 and solve for the acceleration.

In the given problem, it seems like you may have forgotten to break down the weight force into its components or you may have used the full weight force instead of the component parallel to the surface. Make sure to double check your calculations and use the correct values for the forces involved.

I hope this helps and good luck on your final exam!

1. What is the relationship between the force of an object on an inclined plane and its weight?

The force of an object on an inclined plane is directly proportional to its weight. In other words, the heavier the object, the greater the force it exerts on the inclined plane.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force of an object on it?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the force of an object on it by changing the amount of force required to move the object up or down the plane. The steeper the angle, the greater the force needed to move the object.

3. Is the force of an object on an inclined plane affected by its mass?

Yes, the force of an object on an inclined plane is affected by its mass. The greater the mass of the object, the greater the force it exerts on the inclined plane.

4. How does friction play a role in the force of an object on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a significant role in the force of an object on an inclined plane. Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object, and it increases as the angle of the inclined plane increases. This means that more force is required to overcome friction and move the object up or down the plane.

5. Can the force of an object on an inclined plane be calculated?

Yes, the force of an object on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane. This formula takes into account the weight of the object, the angle of the inclined plane, and the force needed to overcome friction.