Confused on directions, List the elements in the subsets?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of power sets and subsets of a set S = {a,b,c}. For each integer i = 0, 1, 2, 3, the set S_i represents all subsets of S that have i elements. The elements in S_0 are {a_0, b_0, c_0}, and the elements in S_1 are {a_1, b_1, c_1}. The conversation also mentions the fact that the power set of a set with n elements has 2^n elements. However, it is unclear how this relates to the problem at hand, which is to list the elements in S_0, S_1, S_
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. There arn't any problems like this in this section, so I'm kind of lost on what they want. It says...

Let S = {a,b,c} and for each integer i = 0, 1, 2, 3 let [tex]S_i[/tex] be the set of all subsets of S that have i elements. List the elemnts in [tex]S_o,S_1,S_2,S_3[/tex]. Is {[tex]S_0,S_1,S_2,S_3[/tex]} a partion of P(S).
P(S) stands for power sets.

S_0 = {a_0,b_0,c_0}
S_1 = {a_1,b_1,c_1}

or what are they saying exactly?

Isn't S_0 through 3 going to have the exact same elements just {a,b,c} all the time? I don't see how changing the subscript on S is changing the elements or the number of elements. I have no idea what they want, The only thing i saw in the book was the folllowing:
THe number of subsets of a set.

THe following theorem states the important fact that if a set has n elements, then its power set has 2^n elements.
Suppose X is a set and z is an elemen tof X.If X = {x,y,z}, the following table shows the correspondence between subsets of X that do not contain z and subsets of X that contain Z.

The table shows subset so X that do not contain z (X- {z} )
Null
{x}
{y}
{x,y}

Subsets of X that contain z
NULL union {z} = {z}
{x} union {z} = {x,z}
{y} union {z} = {y,z}
{x,y} union {z} = {x,y,z}

But i don't see how this relates to my probem at all.

Any help would be great

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
...Let S = {a,b,c} and for each integer i = 0, 1, 2, 3 let [tex]S_i[/tex] be the set of all subsets of S that have i elements. List the elemnts in [tex]S_o,S_1,S_2,S_3[/tex]. Is {[tex]S_0,S_1,S_2,S_3[/tex]} a partion of P(S).
P(S) stands for power sets.

S_0 = {a_0,b_0,c_0}
S_1 = {a_1,b_1,c_1}

or what are they saying exactly?

For example, for i = 2, S2 = {{a,b}, {b, c}, {a, c}}.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PowerSet.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responce but that's what confusees me, i know what a power set is, like if you find
P({x,y}) = {NULL, {x},{y}, {x,y}}
but

Are you taking the power set of S? in ur example?
or how did u get {{a,b},{b,c},{a,c}} if that was a power set, isn't it suppose to be 2^n, so if i = 2, wouldn't u have 4 sets in there?

When they say list the elments in S0 - S3, do they mean take the power set of S0 - S3? and if that's the case, how does the subscript affect what's in S = {a,b,c}?

Last edited:

1. What are subsets?

Subsets are a collection of elements from a larger set. They are formed by selecting specific elements from the original set.

2. How do I list the elements in a subset?

To list the elements in a subset, you need to identify the elements that belong to that subset and write them in a specific order. This can be done by following the directions given or by using a specific mathematical notation, such as set builder notation.

3. What does it mean to be confused on directions?

Being confused on directions means that you are unsure or unclear about how to complete a task or follow a set of instructions. It is important to ask for clarification or seek further explanation if you are confused on directions.

4. What are the elements in a subset used for?

The elements in a subset can be used for various purposes, depending on the context in which they are being used. In mathematics, subsets are often used to define relationships between sets, while in other fields they may represent data or categories.

5. Can a subset have the same elements as the original set?

Yes, a subset can have the same elements as the original set. In fact, one of the main characteristics of a subset is that it contains elements from the original set. However, a subset can also have fewer elements than the original set, but it cannot have more.