Understanding Parametric Equations: Conflicting Answers Explained

• Thread starter phalanx123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the conflicting answers obtained when trying to find the value of dy/dx for a given parametric equation. The first answer, obtained by substituting the given value of theta, results in 0/0 which is not defined. However, the second answer is obtained by taking the limit as theta approaches 0 and using L'Hopital's rule, resulting in the value of 16. The conversation also touches on the concept of infinitesimals and their relationship to zero. It is important to note that 0/0 does not equal infinity, but is considered an undetermined value.
phalanx123
two conflicting answers?

I was doing a question on differentiate parametric equations which has this result [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{4sin(4\theta)}{sin\theta}[/tex]. it then asks what the value of [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]would be if [tex]\theta=0[/tex]. if I substitute [tex]\theta=0[/tex] into [tex]\frac{4sin(4\theta)}{sin\theta}[/tex] than I get [tex]\frac{0}{0}[/tex] which I persume would be infinity, i.e. the grdient of the graph at that point is undefinined. but if I transform [tex]\frac{4sin(4\theta)}{sin\theta}[/tex] into [tex]16cos\theta cos(4\theta)[/tex] and substitute[tex]\theta=0[/tex] in than I got 16 which is the correct answer. How can this be possible?:confused:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I guess the simplest answer would be that 0/0 doesn't mean infinity. In your case, it essentially means 'try harder' -- use L'Hopital's rule, or a trig substitution, to solve.

Many trig Identities arise from assumptions that the value ie [itex]\sin \theta[/itex] does not equal zero. If you look at the proofs, many involve divisions which are not possible when it equals zero. Basically when you transformed it you worked out the limit as it approaches zero, as you let theta become an infinitesimal instead of exactly zero, which some picky mathematicians may say are equivalent but you get what i mean.

No, 0/0 is not "infinity"- it is "undetermined". If you are actually given that dy/dx= sin(4x)/sin(x) then the simple answer is that dy/dx is not defined at x= 0. If however, you are given that the dy/dx= sin(4x)/sin(x) for x not equal to 0 and that dy/dx is defined at x= 0, take the limit of dy/dx as x goes to 0. (Derivatives are not necessarily continuous but the do satisfy the "intermediate value property" and so if the limit exists the derivative must be equal to that limit.) An easy application of L'Hopital's rule gives 16 as the value just as you say.

Gib Z, I don't know any mathematicians, picky or not, who say "infinitesmal is the same as zero". I do know that defining "infinitesmal" is a very picky problem and I would not recommend it to undergraduates.

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that a particular event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This assumes that all outcomes are equally likely to occur.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely, while experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

In independent events, the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other. In dependent events, the outcome of one event is affected by the outcome of the other.

How can probability be applied in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting weather patterns, analyzing risk in insurance, and making business decisions. It can also be used in games of chance, like rolling a die or flipping a coin.