Electricity, force, and component form

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force on a 1 nC charge at the bottom of a figure with four charges. The formula used is F= (K|q1||q2|)/r^2, where K is a constant of approximately 9x10^9 N M^2 C^{-2}. The process for finding the force involves using the values of d=3cm, q=4nC, and the directions of the +x and +y axes. There is some confusion about plugging in values for q1 and q3, as well as the use of trigonometric functions. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the reasoning for each step.
abeltyukov

Homework Statement

Consider the four charges in Figure P25.46 http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/p25-46.gif , in which d = 3 cm, q = 4 nC, the +x-axis points to the right, and the +y-axis points up. What is the force on the 1 nC charge at the bottom? Give your answer in component form, using i and j for and , respectively.

Homework Equations

F 2on1 = (K|q1||q2|)/r^2
F 3on1 = (K|q1||q3|)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did for force 2 on 1 :[(9 x 10^9)(5 x 10^-9)(8 x 10^-9)]/(sqrt(0.03^2 + 0.048^2))^2
Then I did tan(theta) = 4.8/3.0 = 57.994 degrees

1.12 x 10^-4 N * sin(57.994) = 9.5 x 10^-5 N

Then for the other force 3 on 1: [(9 x 10^9)(5 x 10^-9)(5 x 10^-9)]/0.03^2 = 2.5 x 10^-4 N

I am confused as to what to do from here. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I follow your method. I know that the force on a charge due to another charge is [tex] F= \frac{kQq}{r^2}[/tex] where k is approximately [tex]9x10^9 N M^2 C^{-2}[/tex].

I'm not sure of your reasoning for plugging in 8nC or 5nC into the equation. You are also talking about q1 and q3; I don't know what those are because they aren't labeled on your diagram. Please explain your reasoning for reach step.

I would first like to commend you for attempting to solve the problem and showing your work. It is important to understand the concepts and equations involved in order to properly solve the problem.

To find the force on the 1 nC charge at the bottom, we can use the principle of superposition, which states that the net force on a charge is equal to the vector sum of the individual forces acting on it.

In this case, we have two individual forces acting on the 1 nC charge from the other two charges. Using the equation for force 2 on 1, we can calculate the x and y components of this force:

Fx = 9.5 x 10^-5 N * cos(57.994) = 4.8 x 10^-5 N

Fy = 9.5 x 10^-5 N * sin(57.994) = 7.3 x 10^-5 N

Similarly, for force 3 on 1, we can calculate the x and y components:

Fx = 2.5 x 10^-4 N * cos(45) = 1.8 x 10^-4 N

Fy = 2.5 x 10^-4 N * sin(45) = 1.8 x 10^-4 N

Now, to find the net force on the 1 nC charge, we simply need to add the x and y components of the two forces:

Fnetx = 4.8 x 10^-5 N + 1.8 x 10^-4 N = 2.3 x 10^-4 N

Fnety = 7.3 x 10^-5 N + 1.8 x 10^-4 N = 2.5 x 10^-4 N

Therefore, the net force on the 1 nC charge is given by Fnet = (2.3 x 10^-4 N)i + (2.5 x 10^-4 N)j.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Remember, always break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and use the appropriate equations to solve for the desired quantities.

What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that arises from the interaction of charged particles, such as electrons and protons. It can be generated in various ways, such as through chemical reactions, magnetism, or pressure.

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the push or pull on an object, resulting from its interaction with another object. It is measured in newtons (N) and can be represented by vectors, which have both magnitude and direction.

What is component form?

In physics, component form refers to expressing a vector in terms of its horizontal and vertical components. This allows for easier mathematical manipulation and analysis of vectors.

How is electricity related to force?

Electricity and force are closely related because electricity is a force that acts on charged particles. For example, when electrons flow through a conductor, they experience a force that causes them to move.

What are some common applications of electricity and force?

Electricity and force have numerous applications in everyday life, such as powering electronic devices, generating light and heat, and propelling vehicles. They are also essential in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and communications.