Potential difference and current

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the current flowing through a square area of a cell membrane, given its thickness, resistivity, and potential difference. The suggested approach is to use the formula R=p(L/A) to find the resistance, and then use V=IR to solve for the current. The necessary values for length, area, and resistivity are provided, and the speaker is unsure about how to use them in the calculation.
map7s

Homework Statement

A typical cell membrane is 8.0 nm thick and has an electrical resistivity of 1.3 10^7 m. If the potential difference between the inner and outer surfaces of a cell membrane is 75 mV, how much current flows through a square area of membrane 1.3 µm on a side?

Homework Equations

I was thinking to use R=p(L/A) and then V=IR to solve for the current, but I wasn't sure what to use for numbers. I know that V=75 mV and p=1.3 x 10^7, but would L=1.3 micrometers and A=L x 8.0 nm ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the resistance, R, by using the formula you wrote down: R=p(L/A). You know the length, L, which is like the thickness. The area, A, is also given and you know the resistivity of the specimen. Whats the problem?

Your approach is correct. To solve for the current, you can use Ohm's law, V=IR, where V is the potential difference, I is the current, and R is the resistance. In this case, the resistance is given by the equation R=p(L/A), where p is the resistivity, L is the thickness of the membrane, and A is the area of the membrane.

Therefore, the current flowing through the membrane can be calculated as I = V/R = (75 mV)/(1.3 x 10^7 m)(1.3 x 10^-6 m)/(8.0 x 10^-9 m^2) = 0.0077 mA.

This means that for a square area of membrane with sides of 1.3 micrometers, a current of 0.0077 mA would flow through it when there is a potential difference of 75 mV between the inner and outer surfaces of the membrane.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference related to current?

Potential difference is directly proportional to current, according to Ohm's law. This means that as the potential difference increases, the current also increases. However, the relationship between potential difference and current also depends on the resistance of the circuit.

3. What is current?

Current is the rate of flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I". In a closed circuit, current flows from the positive terminal of a power source to the negative terminal.

4. How is current measured?

Current can be measured using a device called an ammeter. This instrument is connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of current through a specific point in the circuit. The unit of measurement for current is amperes (A).

5. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC stands for alternating current, which means that the direction of current flow changes periodically. This is the type of current used in most household circuits. DC stands for direct current, which flows in only one direction and is commonly used in batteries. AC and DC currents have different properties and uses in various electrical systems.