What are mass eigenstates and how do they relate to quarks and neutrinos?

• Thread starter duck_21
  • Start date
In summary, the quarks that make up baryons are mass eigenstates of the quarks. This means that the quarks can exist in different flavors, but they will be detected as a specific flavor depending on the experiment.
duck_21
Hello, I have a couple of questions that have been confusing me for a while:
I read that quarks propagate as mass eigenstates, and that these are mixtures of the flavo eigenstates (superposition of the wave functions??), does this mean that baryons are the mass eigenstates of quarks? or does it mean that a free quark can exist as one flavor but be detected as another?? what exactly are mass eigenstates??
same questions go for neutrinos,
Thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not at silly question.

This means that the eigenstates for the weak interaction is not the same as for the colour (strong) interaction and opposite. There is a mixing between these; more can be read in this old thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=171190

Baryons are a composite system of 3 quarks, so it is not a quark eigenstate :S

Thanks a lot!
So, there is an observable operator corresponding to the weak interaction (or flavor mix) and another one corresponding to the strong interaction (colour change) and the eigenstates of these operators are mixed to form mass (or propagation) eigenstates?? is this correct?

Well, yes sort of; and the mixing of the states are done through the matrix which has this "cabbibo angle" . You can roughly do the analogy with the Spin Z and X, Y operators; the eigenstates of the Sz-op are related to the eigenstates of Sx and Sy by an rotation matrix.

This site has a very good lecture note section, with Cabbibo mixing as one of the topics, and there are probably many more places that you can find this. Also a intro textbook in particle phyics is fun to have :)

http://hep.physics.utoronto.ca/~orr/wwwroot/phy357/Lect_2004.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
And what happens with neutrinos? they aren't colored, so is there an operator for flavor and another one for mass or propagation, which I'm guessing would be the free particle hamiltonian??

I am not an expert on this, but i know that the flavor and mass eigenstates of neutrinos are different, they change flavor as they propagate; evidence for mass.

1. What is a "New User"?

A "New User" refers to someone who has recently joined a website, app, or online community and is still learning how to navigate and use the platform.

2. Why are new users often referred to as "silly"?

The term "silly" is often used in a playful manner to describe new users who may have questions or make mistakes that seem obvious to more experienced users. It does not necessarily reflect on the intelligence or capabilities of the new user.

3. What types of questions do new users typically ask?

New users may ask a variety of questions, including how to create an account, how to use certain features, or how to interact with other users. They may also ask for clarification on the rules or guidelines of the platform.

4. How can I help a new user who is struggling?

If you encounter a new user who is struggling, the best way to help is to offer clear and patient guidance. Avoid using jargon or technical terms, and provide step-by-step instructions if needed. Remember to be kind and understanding, as we were all new users at some point.

5. Are there any resources available for new users?

Most platforms have a help or FAQ section specifically designed for new users. These resources can provide answers to common questions and offer tips on how to use the platform effectively. Additionally, many communities have forums or groups where new users can ask for help and receive guidance from more experienced users.