Non-dependent reliability

• Thread starter estado3
  • Start date
In summary, the probability of a computer being operational for 100 days, given the probabilities of the monitor, CPU, and keyboard cable failing, is 0.386058. However, if the conditional probability of the monitor failing given the keyboard cable is damaged is 0.05, the overall probability of the computer being operational for 100 days is 0.391503.
estado3

Homework Statement

Assuming a comp is switche don, the probability that the monitor is not working is 0.005, the probability that the CPU is faulty is 0.02, and the probability that the keyboard cable has been damaged is 0.0025, and that there are no other faults.

Proceed to evaluate the probability that the computer will be operaitonal for a period of 100 days, if it is switched on and off once a day only, and that the faults have the same probability of occurence on each occasion

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the probability that the comp will be operational i.e
p(monitorfailing) +p(cpufaulty) + p(cable damaged) = p(systemfailure)

0.005 + 0.002 + 0.0025 = 0.0095

My next assumption is the value above is the probability of the comp working for one day, and to simply multiply by 100 i.e 0.95 to get the probability of the comp working for 100 days, however I am way off and the answer is 0.386058

Physics news on Phys.org
estado3 said:

Homework Statement

Assuming a comp is switche don, the probability that the monitor is not working is 0.005, the probability that the CPU is faulty is 0.02, and the probability that the keyboard cable has been damaged is 0.0025, and that there are no other faults.

Proceed to evaluate the probability that the computer will be operaitonal for a period of 100 days, if it is switched on and off once a day only, and that the faults have the same probability of occurence on each occasion

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the probability that the comp will be operational i.e
p(monitorfailing) +p(cpufaulty) + p(cable damaged) = p(systemfailure)

0.005 + 0.002 + 0.0025 = 0.0095

My next assumption is the value above is the probability of the comp working for one day, and to simply multiply by 100 i.e 0.95 to get the probability of the comp working for 100 days, however I am way off and the answer is 0.386058

u started right with adding them up to get system failureP (Failure)=0.0095
but the question asks when it will be operational! so P(operational)= 1-P(failure)
then 100 days would [P(operational) ] ^100. because each day has the same probability of success so u multiply it by itself 100 times.

The question then says that the conditional probability of the monitor not working given that the keyboard cable has been damaged is 0.05, and askes how it affects the answers

the solution is 0.390459

but I am thinking that
the probability of failure of the monitor is now
0.005 X 0.05

overall 1 - probability of failure of the system is now
(1 - (0.005 X 0.05 + 0.002 + 0.0025) ) ^100

What is non-dependent reliability?

Non-dependent reliability refers to the consistency and accuracy of measurements or observations that are not influenced by other factors or variables. It is a measure of how well a test or instrument produces consistent and reliable results.

How is non-dependent reliability measured?

Non-dependent reliability can be measured using various statistical methods such as Cronbach's alpha, test-retest reliability, and inter-rater reliability. These methods assess the degree to which the results of a test or measurement are consistent and free from random error.

Why is non-dependent reliability important in scientific research?

Non-dependent reliability is crucial in scientific research as it ensures that the data collected is accurate and can be replicated by other researchers. It also helps to establish the validity of any findings or conclusions drawn from the data.

What factors can affect non-dependent reliability?

Several factors can influence the non-dependent reliability of a test or measurement, such as inadequate sample size, poorly designed test questions, and inconsistent administration of the test. Other factors may include the environment, test-taker's motivation, and the complexity of the test.

How can non-dependent reliability be improved?

To improve non-dependent reliability, researchers can use established and validated measurement tools, increase the sample size, and ensure that the test is administered consistently to all participants. It is also essential to conduct a pilot test to identify and eliminate any potential sources of error in the measurement process.