Help With Physics Assignment: Determining Maximum Velocity & Spring Constant

In summary, maximum velocity in physics refers to the highest speed an object can reach in a given system and can be calculated using the equation v = √(k/m). To determine maximum velocity, the spring constant (k) and mass (m) of the object are needed. A spring constant in physics is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring (F) by the displacement of the spring (x). Students can seek help with their physics assignments from their teacher or professor, join study groups, or utilize online resources and tutoring services.
g4wonhyo
Hi, I am taking a physics class with one instructor and the physics lab with another instructor--it wasn't supposed to be that way, and my lab teacher is always giving me a hard time because of it ( I think he hates me.).

Anyway, I need some help with a take-home lab assignment that my lab instructor gave to me. In class, one end of a bungee cord was tied to the railing of the third floor and the other end was tied to a stuffed bear (.176 kg). The bear was dropped from the third floor so that it just barely touched the bottom of the first floor (10.0m). The length of the un-stretched cord was 4.00m, and the length of the stretched cord was 6.00m. I have to determine the maximum velocity and the spring constant. I'm not exactly sure which one I have to calculate first--I think I need the spring constant before I can calculate the maximum velocity (Am I right about that?). To determine the spring constant (k), can I divide the weight of the bear by the displacement of the cord from its un-stretched length?

k=W/x
=.176 kg (9.80 m/s^2)/(6.00m-4.00m)
=.862 N/m

Is that right? Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

I understand your frustration with having different instructors for your physics class and lab. However, it is important to remember that your lab instructor may just be trying to challenge you and help you learn the material better. It's always best to approach them with a positive attitude and ask for clarification if you are struggling with an assignment.

In regards to your take-home lab assignment, you are correct in needing to calculate the spring constant (k) before determining the maximum velocity. The formula you have used to calculate the spring constant, k=W/x, is correct. However, it is important to note that the weight of the bear should be converted to Newtons (N) before using it in the calculation. In this case, the weight of the bear is 1.725 N, calculated by multiplying its mass (0.176 kg) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

So, the correct calculation would be:
k = (1.725 N) / (6.00 m - 4.00 m)
= 0.862 N/m

Great job on your calculation! This value for the spring constant will be useful in determining the maximum velocity of the bear during its fall. Remember to also consider the conservation of energy in your calculations. Good luck with your assignment!

Hello! It sounds like you are having a difficult time with your physics lab instructor. It's important to remember that your lab instructor is there to help you learn and understand the concepts, so don't be afraid to ask for clarification or additional guidance if needed.

To determine the maximum velocity, you will need to use the conservation of energy equation: PE + KE = constant. PE (potential energy) is equal to the weight of the bear (mgh), where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height the bear was dropped from (10.0 m). KE (kinetic energy) is equal to (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. Since the bear is just barely touching the bottom of the first floor, its potential energy at that point is equal to its kinetic energy. This means that mgh = (1/2)mv^2. You can solve for v to get the maximum velocity.

As for the spring constant, you are correct in thinking that you will need it to calculate the maximum velocity. To determine the spring constant, you can use Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position (F = -kx). In this case, the force is the weight of the bear, and x is the displacement of the cord from its un-stretched length (4.00 m). So, you can rearrange the equation to solve for k: k = -F/x. Just make sure to use the negative value of the weight of the bear, since the force is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement.

Your calculation for the spring constant looks correct, but just be sure to include the negative sign in front of the weight of the bear to get a negative value for the spring constant.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab assignment! Remember to always ask for help if you need it.

1. What is maximum velocity in physics?

Maximum velocity in physics refers to the highest speed that an object can reach in a given system. It is usually measured in meters per second (m/s) and can be calculated using the equation v = √(k/m) where v is velocity, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object.

2. How do you determine the maximum velocity of an object?

To determine the maximum velocity of an object, you need to know the spring constant (k) and the mass (m) of the object. Then, you can use the equation v = √(k/m) to calculate the maximum velocity. Alternatively, you can also plot a graph of the object's displacement against time and find the point where the slope of the graph is zero, which indicates the maximum velocity.

3. What is a spring constant in physics?

A spring constant in physics is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m). It determines how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

4. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring (F) by the displacement of the spring (x). This can be expressed as k = F/x. Alternatively, if the force and displacement data is plotted on a graph, the spring constant can be determined by finding the slope of the line.

5. How can I get help with my physics assignment on determining maximum velocity and spring constant?

There are several resources available for students who need help with their physics assignment. You can consult your teacher or professor for clarification and guidance, join a study group with your peers, or seek online resources such as video tutorials and practice problems. Additionally, many universities offer tutoring services for students struggling with physics concepts. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it!