Force on a conductor in a magnetic field

In summary, Bill conducts an experiment with seawater and a magnet to explore the concept of ionic salt solutions allowing a current to flow. A question is raised whether a force will act on the tube, and it is explained that the force is present due to the current and the movement of cations and anions in opposite directions. The equation F = BIL applies to all currents.
BlackWyvern

Homework Statement

Bill knows that a solution with an ionic salt dissolved in itwill allow a current to flow. Bill finds this quite interesting, so he finds a piece of plastic tubing and hangs it from an apparatus. He pours seawater into the tube until it is full. He then moves a magnet around the tube. Bill then uses a cell to create a current in the solution. Will a force act on the tube? Explain your answer.

Homework Equations

F = BIL

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. I'm not sure if F = BIL only applies to electron flow, or ion flow as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
BlackWyvern said:
I have no idea. I'm not sure if F = BIL only applies to electron flow, or ion flow as well.
Nope, F=BiL works for all currents :smile:

You sure, got some proof? It is a bit far-fetched to just take someone's word for it. Because as far as I know, in electron flow, only electrons move. Whereas, in ion flow, cations and anions both flow in different directions.

BlackWyvern said:
You sure, got some proof? It is a bit far-fetched to just take someone's word for it. Because as far as I know, in electron flow, only electrons move. Whereas, in ion flow, cations and anions both flow in different directions.
Indeed cations and anions flow in the opposite directions; however, the question states that there is a current flowing, this means there must be more cations flowing than anions [or vice versa]. Since we have a current, we have a force...

1. What is the force on a conductor in a magnetic field?

The force on a conductor in a magnetic field is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric charges within the conductor. This force can cause the conductor to move or experience a torque, depending on its orientation.

2. How is the force on a conductor in a magnetic field calculated?

The force on a conductor in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula F = I x L x B, where F is the force in Newtons, I is the current in the conductor, L is the length of the conductor, and B is the magnetic field strength.

3. What is the direction of the force on a conductor in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a conductor in a magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of the current flow in the conductor and the direction of the magnetic field. This can be determined using the right-hand rule.

4. How does the force on a conductor in a magnetic field affect its motion?

The force on a conductor in a magnetic field can cause it to move in a circular motion if the conductor is free to move and the magnetic field is uniform. If the conductor is fixed, the force can cause it to experience a torque, which can rotate the conductor.

5. What factors affect the force on a conductor in a magnetic field?

The force on a conductor in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the conductor, and the orientation of the conductor with respect to the magnetic field. Additionally, the length and shape of the conductor may also impact the force.