Dynamics of a spring contrained string over a pulley.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a stationary and equilibrium system. The solution involves using equations and simplification to determine the frequency, with the help of clarification from others.
MightyG

Homework Statement

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4254/tut5q3ue5.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

iv had a go at this and I think I am getting it right but just looking for a bit of clarification since my lecturer isn't giving out answers, helpfull...

ive started off by saying that initially the system is stationary and equilibrium so,

K.X_in = M.G
X_in = (M.G)/K

so MGR - K(X_in+X)R=I(alpha) sub in X_in = (M.G)/K

(MGR) - ((KMGR)/K) - (KXR) = I(alpha) simplify and sub in X=R(theta)

so,

K(R^2)(theta) + I(alpha) = 0

so (omega_N) = R SQRT(K/I)?

any help would be very very helpful!

Attachments

• tut5q3.JPG
    tut5q3.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 433
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is a bit hard to read. Could you possibly type it up in LaTeX? Here is a tutorial for using LaTeX at PF:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Also, I don't see where you've used the [itex]h[/itex] anywhere. Are you using a different symbol for that?

Your calculations are correct.

@Tom Mattson for the frequency he does not need to consider [tex]h[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of a spring constrained string over a pulley?

The purpose of a spring constrained string over a pulley is to create a system in which a force applied to one end of the string can be transmitted to the other end through the spring, allowing for the study of the dynamics of the system.

2. How does the spring affect the motion of the string?

The spring affects the motion of the string by providing a restorative force that opposes any changes in the length of the string. This allows for the string to oscillate back and forth when a force is applied to one end.

3. Can the length of the string be changed?

Yes, the length of the string can be changed by adjusting the position of the pulley or by changing the tension in the spring. This will affect the dynamics of the system and the behavior of the string.

4. What factors affect the period of oscillation in this system?

The period of oscillation in this system is affected by the mass of the string, the tension in the string, and the stiffness of the spring. Changes in these factors will change the period of oscillation.

5. Can this system be used to study other physical phenomena?

Yes, this system can be used to study other physical phenomena such as simple harmonic motion, energy transfer, and the relationship between force and displacement. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of pulleys and springs in a real-world context.