What Are Viruses: Exploring the Basics

• Thread starter noagname
  • Start date
In summary, a virus is able to enter cells and hijack their machinery to replicate, causing symptoms like fever and runny noses. Antibiotics are designed to kill bacteria, which are independent living cells. Both viruses and bacteria come in many different types and can be difficult to eliminate due to their ability to evolve and adapt.
noagname
I am new at this but i want to make sure i know what i am talking about
I have researched this but i haven't gotten a straight answer

1. When you get sick(common cold/virus) what happens?
Does virus go into each cell and take its nutrients.
Then after that does it keep on spreading and then your body tries to kill it and then you get fever and runny stuffy nose.
2. When you take antibiotics how does it kill bacteria?

and are there different types of bacteria so wouldn't they be the same as viruses

Also i remember long ago i heard one of them was living is that true or not.

Biology news on Phys.org
1] Virii, because they are bits of DNA, are able to sneak past cells defenses and enter the cell. There, they hijack the cell's machinery and force the cell to start reproducing the virus' DNA. When your body begins sensing these foreign bodies, the defense system is activated - the one we notice most is a big increase in histamines, which pump fluids into your tissues and mucous membranes. This is designed to (belatedly) trap more irritants entering the body.

2] Antibiotics are carefully chosen poisons that target bacteria. They interfere with the bacterium's ability to work, such as constructing its cell wall. This is also why antibiotics don't work on virii - virii are not working machinery.

There are as many kinds of virus as there are bacteria.

Virii are on the verge of life. Many consider them non-life. They are simply bits of DNA. They cannot work without hijacking a living cell.

Last edited:
so if well where do these virii attack
because if they attack in the lower part of your body then when you sneeze would you still get colored mucus

ok and if i get this straight bacteria is a very simple machine
if they are so simple can't humans create something to stop them for good

noagname said:
so if well where do these virii attack
because if they attack in the lower part of your body then when you sneeze would you still get colored mucus
I may be mistaken but catching a virus does not produce coloured mucous at all. The byproduct of bactgerial infection is the carcasses of bacteria, whose byprodiucts are poisons and have (colour and taste). The offal of a virus is your own cells.

noagname said:
ok and if i get this straight bacteria is a very simple machine
if they are so simple can't humans create something to stop them for good
Do not confuse simple with easy. Humans may be the most complex critters on the planet, but bacteria are by far the most successful - they've done quite nicely for 2 billion years.

(1) The virus infects a cell, tricks the cell into making more copies of that virus until the cell ruptures and sends those new virii out to infect other cells. Fevers, runny noses, etc. are some of our bodies attempts to get rid of the virus. Of course, some types of virus use runny noses as a way to spread themselves to new hosts.

(2) There are countless types of virii and bacteria. A virus is a bit of DNA or RNA with a protein coating. So they are often thought of as non-living. A bacterium is an independent living cell (single celled organism). A cell is not exactly a simple machine. That aside, bacteria are hard to get rid of because they reproduce extremely quickly and they also evolve quickly. New strains appear and existing ones evolve defenses to attacks on them (which is why antibiotics can become less effective over time).

1. What is a virus?

A virus is a tiny infectious agent that can only replicate inside the cells of living organisms. They are made up of genetic material, either DNA or RNA, surrounded by a protein coat.

2. How do viruses spread?

Viruses can spread in a variety of ways, including through direct contact with an infected person, through respiratory droplets from coughing or sneezing, through contaminated food or water, or through contact with contaminated surfaces.

3. What are the symptoms of a viral infection?

The symptoms of a viral infection can vary, but common symptoms include fever, fatigue, body aches, cough, sore throat, and runny nose. Some viruses can also cause more severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing or organ failure.

4. How are viruses treated?

There is no specific treatment for most viral infections. In most cases, the body's immune system fights off the virus and the symptoms will go away on their own. Some antiviral medications may be prescribed for more severe infections, but these can only help manage symptoms and cannot cure the virus.

5. Can viruses be prevented?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent viral infections. These include practicing good hygiene, such as washing your hands frequently and avoiding close contact with sick individuals. Vaccines are also available for some viruses, which can provide immunity and prevent infection.