Time relative to someone moving at a high speed-equations for a layman?

In summary, based on my limited understanding of relativity, I believe that if an observer travels at a speed that approaches the speed of light, they experience less time than an observer who is stationary. This would only have a negligible effect on the aging process, however, and would need to be done on a very fast moving object (like a Concord jet) to experience any difference at all.
DyslexicHobo
I know only the basics about relativity, and was explaining to my friend that as you travel at a speed that approaches c, you experience less time than an observer. I believed that it was explained in "A Brief History of Time" such that your 'velocity' vector can only have a magnitude of c, and if portions of that vector are are in the spatial dimensions rather than the time dimension then you won't experience as much time as an observer.

So then my friend asked "well, if I rode Kingda Ka for 50 years straight, would I age at least 1 second less than you?"

I have the feeling that it would have a negligible effect on his aging, and my prediction was that he would experience only millionths of a second less time than a relatively motionless observer would.

Is there any equations for the layman that I could use to calculate something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DyslexicHobo! :smile:
DyslexicHobo said:
… if I rode Kingda Ka for 50 years straight, would I age at least 1 second less than you? …

I have the feeling that it would have a negligible effect on his aging, and my prediction was that he would experience only millionths of a second less time than a relatively motionless observer would.

Is there any equations for the layman that I could use to calculate something like this?

easy -peasy! :biggrin:

the time dilation factor is exactly √(1 - v2/c2) …

which, for very small v (as on Kingda Ka), is practically 1 - v2/2c2 :wink:

Thanks!

This was much simpler than I expected. I calculated that if he rode Kingda Ka for 50 years nonstop at a constant velocity of 120mph (which is incorrect, because it only reaches 120mph for a few seconds), then he would experience about .0000253864 seconds less than myself.

I'll let him know that he'll need to try going on a concord jet for 50 years nonstop, instead. :)

1. What is the equation for time dilation?

The equation for time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the observed time, t is the time in the reference frame, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

2. How does time change for someone moving at a high speed?

According to the theory of relativity, time will appear to pass slower for someone who is moving at a high speed compared to someone who is at rest. This is known as time dilation.

3. Is time dilation only applicable to objects moving at the speed of light?

No, time dilation can occur at any speed, but it becomes more noticeable as the speed approaches the speed of light. At slower speeds, the effects of time dilation are negligible and may not be perceivable.

4. Can time go backwards for someone moving at a high speed?

According to the theory of relativity, time can appear to go backwards for someone who is moving at a high enough speed. However, this is only a perceived effect and time will still continue to move forward in the actual reference frame.

5. How does time dilation affect the aging process?

Time dilation can cause a discrepancy in the aging process between two individuals who are moving at different speeds. The person moving at a higher speed will age slower compared to the person at rest. This has been observed in experiments with high-speed particles.