What mass must be added to raise concentration? Am I doing this right?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Kc in a chemical equilibrium reaction, with the given initial concentrations of .2 M CH4 and .2 M H2O in a 4 L sealed vessel at 1400 K. The concentration of H2 is found to be .444 M when equilibrium is established, which leads to a calculated Kc value of 4.8. The question then asks for the mass of H2O needed to be added to the equilibrium mixture in order to raise the concentration of H2 to .54 mol/L, with the given answer of 20 g. The attempted solution uses the calculated equilibrium concentrations to determine the necessary change in concentration, but the resulting calculation does not match the given answer.
veitch

Homework Statement

CH4 (g) + H2O (g) <- -> CO (g) + 3 H2 (g)
.2 M CH4 and .2 M H2O are added to an empty 4 L sealed vessel at 1400 K. When equilibrium is established, the concentration of H2 is .444 M. Calculate Kc... which I did and got 4.8 which is the given answer.

The real problem I have is part b) What mass of H2O (g) must be added to the equilibrium mixture in order to raise the concentration of H2 to .54 mol/L? The answer is supposed to be "20. g"

The Attempt at a Solution

using the equilibrium concentrations I calculated for the first part as initial concentrations

CH4 H2O CO 3H2
I .052 .052 .148 .444
C -.032 -.032 +.032 +.096
E .02 .02 .18 .54

So to change the .444 M H2 to .53 M... the reactants would need a third more added to them? and .032 M/L in 4.0 L would be 0.128 mol... if the molar mass of H2O is 18.0152 then that would be 2.3 g... which is nowhere near 20 g

Am I way off? I'm confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

0.18*0.543/0.022 ≠ 4.8

I would first check the units of the given answer (20 g) and the units of your calculated answer (2.3 g). It appears that the given answer is in grams, while your calculated answer is in moles. This means that you need to convert your calculated answer from moles to grams by using the molar mass of H2O. Once you have the correct units, you can then convert from moles to grams using the following equation:

Mass (g) = moles (mol) x molar mass (g/mol)

In this case, the mass of H2O (g) that needs to be added is calculated as follows:

Mass (g) = 0.128 mol x 18.0152 g/mol = 2.3 g

This is the same answer that you calculated, but now in the correct units. The given answer of 20 g is incorrect. Therefore, it appears that you have done the calculations correctly and your answer of 2.3 g is accurate.

What mass must be added to raise concentration?

The mass that must be added to raise concentration depends on several factors, including the initial concentration, target concentration, and volume of the solution. It can be calculated using the following formula: mass of solute = (target concentration - initial concentration) x volume of solution.

Am I doing this right?

It is difficult to determine if you are doing it right without more context. Make sure you are using the correct units and following the appropriate formula. It is also helpful to double check your calculations and make sure they make sense. If you are still unsure, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or supervisor.

What factors affect concentration?

There are several factors that can affect concentration, including the amount of solute added, the volume of the solution, and the temperature. Additionally, the solubility of the solute and any chemical reactions that may occur can also impact the concentration.

How can I increase concentration without adding more mass?

One way to increase concentration without adding more mass is by reducing the volume of the solution. This will result in a higher concentration of solute per unit volume. Another option is to heat the solution, which can increase the solubility of the solute and thus increase the concentration.

Can concentration be too high?

Yes, concentration can be too high. When the concentration of a solution reaches its saturation point, it means that no more solute can dissolve in the solvent. Any additional solute added will not dissolve and will instead form a solid at the bottom of the solution. This can also occur if the concentration is above the solubility limit of the solute.