Need help with Circuit: LED Blinking Problem

In summary: Yes, the LED is lighting up now.Thanks. I'll try putting in the .47 uF Cap. I'll also reduce the size of the pics. Should I reduce them here or just in the future?Just for the future. Nobody wants to download big pictures if they don't need to.In summary, the circuit looks nearly identical to fig. 1 in www.northcountryradio.com/PDFs/column009.pdf, but the CMOS chips have lower leakage values and hence can use higher value resistors. The OP is using a standard 555 with some pretty big resistors.
Cubeclub
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this in and I never took photos of something to put on the internet but I can't get this circuit to work and I need help. The LED is normally on. When I press the switch the LED should blink, slow down until its original condition. Maybe this should go in the homework forum. I never did this before. I don't have the switch right now but I'm using two wires instead. Will it not work without the switch?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8325/1007495.th.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7609/circuit.th.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3797/1007494.th.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4036/1007493m.th.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1492/1007492k.th.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2503/1007491.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have posted about 15 MB of pictures. It is much better to reduce these pictures to less than 100 KB each before posting them. They have to be clear on the screen but not high resolution.

The circuit looks OK but I haven't checked your wiring. You need to do this yourself.

The output frequency might be a bit fast if you are hoping to see the light flash. A program I fed it into said the frequency would be about 10 Hz. This might be a bit too fast to see.
If it is lit but not obviously flashing, it may be flashing too fast to see.

Try making the capacitor on pin 6 a 0.47 uF if this is the case. That should give about 2 flashes a second.

What are you seeing? Is it doing anything? Do you have a multimeter or a CRO?

No, the switch doesn't matter as long as your wires are twisted together.
It won't change its flash rate though, except a brief moment when the 22uF charges up but this would be very fast.

Last edited:
Your circuit looks nearly identical to fig. 1 in :
www.northcountryradio.com/PDFs/column009.pdf[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the circuit is pretty standard, but those chips are the CMOS version.

This OP is using a standard 555 with some pretty big resistors. The CMOS chips have lower leakage values and hence can use higher value resistors. I haven't got a data sheet handy, but I suspect he might be pushing his luck with 470 K's on a normal 555.

vk6kro said:
You have posted about 15 MB of pictures. It is much better to reduce these pictures to less than 100 KB each before posting them. They have to be clear on the screen but not high resolution.

The circuit looks OK but I haven't checked your wiring. You need to do this yourself.

The output frequency might be a bit fast if you are hoping to see the light flash. A program I fed it into said the frequency would be about 10 Hz. This might be a bit too fast to see.
If it is lit but not obviously flashing, it may be flashing too fast to see.

Try making the capacitor on pin 6 a 0.47 uF if this is the case. That should give about 2 flashes a second.

What are you seeing? Is it doing anything? Do you have a multimeter or a CRO?

No, the switch doesn't matter as long as your wires are twisted together.
It won't change its flash rate though, except a brief moment when the 22uF charges up but this would be very fast.

Thanks. I'll try putting in the .47 uF Cap. I'll also reduce the size of the pics. Should I reduce them here or just in the future?

The LED goes on and when I connect the two wires where the switch would be the LED dims slightly. I put in a .47 Capacitor and I still had the same outcome.

Just for the future. Nobody wants to download big pictures if they don't need to.

You need to just follow the wires and make sure they go where they are supposed to go.

If you still have trouble, measure the voltage at each pin of the 555 and post those voltage readings.

If you have a spare 555, or better, a CMOS 555, you could try that as well.

I am using a 6 volt battery and I got these voltage readings.
Pin 1: 0V
Pin 2: 1.9V
Pin 3: 5V
Pin 4: 6.4V
Pin 5: 4.3V
Pin 6: .1V
Pin 7: .1V
Pin 8: 6.4V

Pin 6 and pin 2 should be the same since they are joined together.

Better check your wiring.

*Fix*
Pin 1: 0V
Pin 2: .1V
Pin 3: 5V
Pin 4: 6.4V
Pin 5: 4.3V
Pin 6: .1V
Pin 7: .1V
Pin 8: 6.4V

Is it working now?

No It isn't

Is the LED lighting up at all?

Cubeclub said:
The LED goes on and when I connect the two wires where the switch would be the LED dims slightly. I put in a .47 Capacitor and I still had the same outcome.
Same as this

OK.

Just looking at your picture, it looks like the 470 Ks are really 470 ohms. Is that right?
Can you measure them?

BTW where are you?

just shoot me. OMG. I can't believe I missed that. I was looking for something harder. I had the circuit on top of a cd case. Is that what you meant by where are you?

470 K would be yellow, violet, yellow wouldn't it.

What part of the world are you in? What country? What city?470 K would be yellow, violet, yellow wouldn't it...YES

North Bellmore, NY

You live in Australia? I see it in your profile. cool

You're up late.
I'm in Perth, Australia. It is 2:11 pm here.

Thanks for all the help. I have to go to sleep now. It's 2:12 am

Seeya

It works. I bought the 470K ohm resistors today. It's so amazing. Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of the circuit?

The purpose of this circuit is to make an LED blink at a specific rate.

2. Why is the LED not blinking?

There could be several reasons for this issue, such as incorrect wiring, a faulty component, or a problem with the power source. Double check all connections and troubleshoot any potential issues.

3. How can I troubleshoot the circuit?

To troubleshoot the circuit, start by checking all of the connections to make sure they are secure and in the correct place. Then, use a multimeter to test the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. This can help identify any faulty components or wiring issues.

4. Can I change the rate at which the LED blinks?

Yes, the rate at which the LED blinks can be changed by altering the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit. Increasing the resistance or capacitance will result in a slower blinking rate, while decreasing these values will make the LED blink faster.

5. Can I use a different type of LED in this circuit?

As long as the LED has the same voltage and current requirements as the one specified in the circuit, it should work. However, different types of LEDs may have different brightness levels or colors, so the overall effect of the circuit may vary.