How Can I Calculate the Seiche Period for a Shallow Water Channel?

In summary, the speed of water waves in shallow water is given approximately by c^2 = gh. A seiche is a standing wave in a shallow water basin with antinodes at ends and a node in the center. To calculate the seiche period for a 9 km wide and 300 m deep channel, the formula c = 2L / sqrt(gh) can be used. The width of the channel can also be used to calculate the speed of the wave.
aks_sky
The speed of water waves in shallow water is given approximately by:

c^2 = gh

A seiche is a standing wave in a shallow water basin with antinodes at ends and a node in the center.

A lake is approximately a channel 9 km wide and 300 m deep. Calculate the seiche period for such a channel.

** What i think i can do with this problem is that i can use the height h=300m in the equation but i don't think that will give me the right answer. I am thinking that i should find the area of the channel but i don't know how to use that in the formula to find the speed.

Any ideas?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think using the height 300m will give you the wrong answer?

When i did the calculations i got the answer as 54.2 s, which i think is not right for the period of wave. but i could be wrong, also i was thinking about using the width of the channel to see if i get a different answer. but i don't think that works out either.

Oh yup i figured it out. I can use the formula of c = 2L / sqrt(g h)

that give me the speed of a wave through a channel... thank you for your help!

1. How does wave speed in the ocean vary?

Wave speed in the ocean can vary based on a variety of factors, including the depth of the water, the wind speed, and the shape of the ocean floor. Generally, waves travel faster in deeper water and slower in shallower water. Stronger winds can also increase wave speed, while obstacles on the ocean floor can cause waves to slow down or change direction.

2. What is the formula for calculating wave speed in the ocean?

The formula for calculating wave speed in the ocean is: c = √(gT/2π), where c is the wave speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and T is the wave period in seconds.

3. How do waves in the ocean transfer energy?

Waves in the ocean transfer energy through a combination of vertical and horizontal movement of water particles. As the wave moves through the water, the particles in the wave follow a circular pattern, with the top of the wave moving forward while the bottom of the wave moves backward. This circular motion transfers energy from one particle to the next, creating the movement we see as waves on the surface of the ocean.

4. What are the different types of waves in the ocean?

There are several different types of waves in the ocean, including wind-generated waves, swell waves, and tsunamis. Wind-generated waves are the most common and are created by the transfer of energy from the wind to the water. Swell waves are a result of distant storms and can travel long distances without losing much energy. Tsunamis are caused by seismic activity and can travel at extremely high speeds, but with small amplitudes, making them difficult to detect in the open ocean.

5. How do changes in water temperature affect wave speed in the ocean?

Changes in water temperature can affect wave speed in the ocean by altering the density of the water. Warmer water is less dense than cooler water, so waves will travel faster in warmer water. This is because the distance between water particles is greater, allowing for less resistance and faster movement. However, other factors such as wind and ocean floor shape can also play a role in wave speed, so the impact of temperature on wave speed may vary in different locations.